Economic Development Director
Division: Office of Economic Development
Salary: $43,992.00 – 107,161.60 11-1021
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Deadline: Onerahtókha\April 11, 2014
The Office of Economic Development (OED) Director will oversee the daily operations of the OED. The Director will develop a comprehensive strategic plan for the OED. The Director will identify potential projects, programs and services that will enhance the Economic Development of the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe (SRMT) and the Akwesasne Business Community. The Director will ensure that the goals and objectives of the SRMT are accomplished within prescribed time frames and funding parameters by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Provide leadership, advice and assistance to staff in the execution of their responsibilities
- Represent SRMT, create relationships and work directly with internal and external stakeholders i.e. SRMT Division Directors, Akwesasne Business Community, Chambers of Commerce etc.
- Develop a comprehensive strategic plan for the OED
- Identify projects and develop policies and regulations for the OED
- Take on special projects as assigned by Tribal Administration
- Oversee the daily operations of the OED and the Akwesasne Employment Resource Center (AERC)
- Review all completed Akwesasne Revolving Loan Fund (ARLF) applications to provide feedback
- Identify short and long term goals, set deadlines and create a plan of action
- Develops Scope of Work/confirms project terms of reference as needed
- Determine effects of regulatory limitations on Economic Development projects and present solutions
- Respond to inquiries about OED special projects, programs, services, initiatives etc.
- Meet with public and private entrepreneurs to discuss commercial and industrial opportunities
- Assess the feasibility and recommend approval, denial or conditional approval of Economic Development proposals for the SRMT to Tribal Administration and/or Tribal Council
- Prepare multi-year business plans and financial forecasts as assigned
- Work directly with SRMT Divisions and SRMT entities
- Stay abreast of state and federal legislation affecting Economic Development and inform Tribal Administration i.e. taxation, new economic programs, new policies, investment opportunities, etc.
- Promote awareness of current SRMT OED initiatives to the Akwesasne Community
- Conduct research, field investigations, surveys, impact studies etc. compile and analyze data on factors affecting Economic Development, and stay abreast of new trends and innovations
- Prepare, modify and present various reports, documents and presentations to leadership
- Develop departmental policy and procedures, SOP’s, diligence process
- Develop and implement an assessment tool to qualify prospective business opportunities
- Develop, manage, report on all OED operating plans and budgets; i.e. quarterly, annual, final and outside funding reports etc.
- Prepare and manage OED contracts
- Seek, apply and submit proposals to funding sources for Economic Development purposes on behalf of the SRMT. i.e. grant writing
- Develop and maintain a database for all funding sources i.e. federal, public, private etc. for development of SRMT
- Control all expenditures and manage the budget for the OED
- Ensure a safe working environment for staff
- Perform supervisory responsibilities for OED and AERC staff. i.e. timesheets, hiring process, performance appraisals, discipline, complaints, orientation and training of new employees, office coverage
- Perform basic cross-functional duties when needed in order to mentor staff and maintain operational efficiency of the OED
- Ensure operational efficiency of the OED and implement ways to increase operational efficiently of the OED according to standards established by the SRMT
- Follow all policies and procedures
- Exhibit a friendly, helpful and courteous manner when interacting with community members and fellow employees
- Other duties as assigned
- Individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily and with professional integrity
- A valid motor vehicle license and willingness to use personal vehicle in the course of employment
- Native preference applies in filling this position.Applicants not entitled to native preference will receive consideration without discrimination based on age, sex, disability or national origin
- The successful candidate must pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment confirmation
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field with a minimum of 4 years’ experience in related setting or 8 years of experience in related setting with a strong background and knowledge in management.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent computer/presentation skills i.e. Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access PowerPoint)
- Excellent, research, organizational, planning and implementation skills
- Excellent project/time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills
- Excellent decision making, budgeting, negotiation skills
- Excellent analytical and critical and thinking skills
- Excellent ability to mentor others
- Able to work under pressure, stress, aggressive timelines, unexpected deadlines and in a fast paced work environment
- Ability to maintain a heavy workload and work flexible/extended hours
- Able to assist or direct the public to the proper authorities to achieve their goals whenever possible
- Ability to multitask
- Team player
- Must be able to meet the public as a representative of the Tribe, maintaining high ethical, honest and moral standards
- Knowledge of the Mohawk Language is considered an asset
- Knowledge of SRMT programs and policies would be an asset
- Ability to promote a harmonious work environment
Submit your resume, cover letter and proof of native preference eligibility by mail to: Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 412 State Route 37, Akwesasne, NY 13655 or by email to: email@example.com.Job Closing Date: April 11, 2014
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
All positions require candidates to successfully pass a background check prior to employment. Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
Must be at least 21 years of age, have and maintain a valid driver's license with a clean driver abstract.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.