Health Promotions Specialist
Division: Let's Get Healthy Program - Saint Regis Mohawk Health Services
Status: Full-time, non-exempt
Salary: $26,187.20 - 51,022.40 (21-1091)
Deadline: Onerahtókha / April 5, 2013
The primary role of the Specialist is to provide direct physical activity services as part of the diabetes prevention and treatment programs within the Diabetes Grant for youth, adults and seniors. Physical activity services will encompass individual and group-based fitness classes, such as after-school/evening fitness instruction and health education.
- Instruct groups or individuals in exercise activities. Demonstrate techniques and advise of corrective measures necessary to improve exercise skills.
- Convert written information/resource material into instructional programs for appropriate age levels of participants. Provide information and resources regarding nutrition, weight control and lifestyle issues.
- Explain the proper use of exercise equipment, proper clothing and shoes.
- Evaluate individual abilities, needs and physical conditions to develop suitable training programs.
- Conduct therapeutic, recreational and fitness activities. Instruct participants in maintaining proper exertion levels to maximize benefits from exercise. Teach proper breathing techniques used during physical exertion.
- Plan routines, choose appropriate music and choose different movements for each set of muscles, depending on participant’s capabilities and limitations. Monitor progress and adapt programs as needed. Offer alternatives during classes to accommodate different levels of fitness.
- Maintain equipment inventories, and select, store and issue equipment. Maintain exercise equipment in sanitary and proper working order.
- The Health Promotion Specialist must strictly adhere to all patient confidentiality and privacy protection responsibilities of a medical setting.
- Attend training to deliver popular fitness workouts related to strategies that promote strengthening and cardiovascular health, i.e., pilates/yoga/tai chi-like activities, floor and step workouts.
- The Specialist will be required to effectively market program events and services.
High School Diploma with at least one year of college/university completed. Must have at least two years experience in fitness-based activities is preferred. Must be in excellent physical health to effectively lead and conduct fitness services consistently, safely and energetically. Must possess a sound approach in health education strategies.
Other Desired Qualifications and Experience
- Able to work flexible schedules, i.e., after-school and evening time frames
- Be self-directed to seek support and guidance to ensure positive program growth and development as community needs are identified
- Must demonstrate independence to inspire community participation in diabetes prevention and diabetes care strategies related to healthy eating and fitness education
Must complete the SRMHS pre-employment physical and the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe Drug Screening program.
Submit letter of interest and resume to: email@example.com or Human Resources, 412 State Route 37, Akwesasne, NY 13655Job Closing Date: April 06, 2013
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe gives preference to Native Americans who meet the requirements of the posted position. Applicants not entitled to Native Preference will receive consideration without discrimination based on age, sex, disability or national origin.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
All positions require candidates to successfully pass background checks prior to employment. Some require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is
created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar
positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.