The Tribal Clerk's office is responsible for membership. Eligibility for enrollment with the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe will be determined upon completion of the application, meeting the 25% Mohawk blood quantum requirement and verification of ancestry from the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe.
Procedures for Applying for Membership
If you believe you meet the requirements and have the appropriate information, contact the Tribal Clerk's office at 518-358-2272 to request a membership application.
- Provide a four generation biological family tree. Include tribal enrollment numbers of parents and/or grandparents as proof of membership from the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe.
- Send birth certificate with biological parents' names listed. Canadian births: A long-form birth certificate is preferred. A short-form birth certificate may be used with a baptismal or Longhouse certificate. Also send a marriage certificate or divorce decree if your name does not match your birth certificate or if you are requesting a name change.
- Fees: Send a money order made out to the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe with the application package. Personal checks are not accepted. The fee is non-refundable. For child membership: birth to 15 years, $5. Add $10 if a Tribal ID card is requested. For adult membership: 16 years & over, includes Tribal ID card $20
- If research is required on the family tree to complete the application process, additional charges may apply.
- The process for enrollment may take up to 90 days.
- Upon acceptance, a certification letter will be mailed to you with instructions for receiving your Tribal ID card.
Send your address to Saint Regis Mohawk Tribal Clerk's office, 412 State Route 37, Akwesasne, NY 13655 or call 518-358-2272 to request a research form, instructions and fees.
St. Regis Catholic Church, PO Box 429. Akwesasne, NY 13655. Call 613-575-2753 for fees and instructions.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long is my Tribal ID card good for? The cards must be renewed every five years.
Some of my family mentioned they received mail from the Tribe. Why didn't I? Remember to inform the Tribal Clerk's office when you change address or phone numbers or your marital status changes. You should also notify the Tribal Clerk when a Tribal member passes away or when you have an addition to your family.
Can I renew my ID card by mail? Yes, contact the Tribal Clerk's office to request the form and instructions.