Public Notice of Election and Referendum Ordinance Amendments Final Draft
Issued by the Tribal Clerk of the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe
February 26, 2013
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribal Council, working in conjunction with the Election Board, has put forth the Final Draft of Amendments to the SAINT REGIS MOHAWK TRIBE ELECTION and REFERENDUM ORDINANCE.
Summary of Final Draft of Amendments:
- Definition of “campaign paraphernalia or campaigning” has been updated.
- Requiring either 3 or 5 Board members to avoid a tie.
- Requiring maintenance of records of the Election Board.
- Eligibility of Candidates Section has been renumbered and moved around to be clearer.
- Added references to Court of Appeals Justices
- Set clear time limits for Candidates to submit required documentation.
- Upon verification of a Petition, Election Board, not Tribal Council shall call for a Referendum
- Added Specific Hearing Procedures for Appeals
- Added Walk-In Voting
- Amended the Absentee Voting process to make it easier for eligible Tribal Members to participate in voting
- Clarified deadlines for candidates to complete paperwork
Copies of the Final Draft Amendments, as well as a summary of the comments received during the public comment period can be obtained at the Community Building, or from the Public Information Office.
This notice commences the final public review period and shall expire on April 1, 2013, whereupon a Tribal Council Resolution to adopt the Final Draft Amendment will be presented to Tribal Council for approval at their regularly scheduled Work Session on April 2, 2013.