Job Closing: May 26, 2021
Job Code: 35-2021
Salary: $12.55 - $15.47 per hour
Exempt: No, full-time
Location: Seniors Center
Department: Office for the Aging
Reports To: Head Cook
SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Head Cook, the Assistant Cook is responsible for preparation of meals for Senior Nutrition Program according to food and safety standards. In absence of Head Cook, take over meal preparations and assign kitchen duties. Must be caring, courteous and sensitive to needs of the elderly.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Assist in the planning of the monthly daily (breakfast boxes, lunch and supper bags) menus in collaboration with the Registered Dietitian and program staff
- Submitting requests to Head Cook for items needed for breakfast boxed, lunches and Supper Bags, according to schedule
- Assist in preparation and cooking of meals
- Prepare baked goods such as cake, biscuits, cobbler, and cookies
- Assist in packaging breakfast boxes, home delivered meals, and supper bags for distribution
- Ensuring rotation of supplies in dry storage
- Shopping at local stores for items needed for meals
- Ensure efficient kitchen operations in absence of Head Cook
- Set cleaning schedule for kitchen and supply areas
- Maintain a favorable working relationship with other kitchen employees to foster and promote a fun harmonious working environment
- Attend all required trainings and meetings
- Perform other job duties as required
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: High School Diploma and at least two years of work experience in food service.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Job requires standing for long periods and must be able to lift up to 50 pounds. Knowledge of food safety and sanitation a must. Understanding of basic nutrition and healthy diets an asset. Mohawk language an asset.
REASONING ABILITY: Must have basic math skills, good communication skills, and interpersonal skills.
Possession of a valid Driver License in accordance with Fleet Policy.
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor.
The successful candidate must pass a test for illegal substances and criminal background check prior to employment being confirmed.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.