Child Care Teacher
Open Until Filled
Job Code: 25-2011 Reports to: Child Care Supervisor
Status: Full-time, Permanent Exempt: No
Location: Early Learning Center Department: Education
SUMMARY: Under the general direction of the Child Care Supervisor, the Child Care Teacher is responsible for providing children with a safe, comfortable environment enriched with a variety of hands on, age-appropriate activities that meet best practice standards and enhance each child’s level of development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Adhere to all policies, standards, and procedures as dictated by Tribal Personnel Policies, NYS OCFS Child Care Licensing Regulations, the ELC Behavior Management Plan, the NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct, PL102-477 regulations and all other applicable regulations pertaining to health, safety and sanitation.
- Implement curriculum that is responsive to children’s learning and development by engaging in and documenting a continual planning-assessment cycle. Submit all goals and lesson plans to Education Coordinator.
- Ensure developmentally appropriate practices at all times and utilize program tools including, Creative Curriculum, Teaching Strategies Gold, Pyramid Model, NYS Early Learning Guidelines NYS Core Body of Knowledge, Environmental Rating Scales, and current research and best practice.
- Provide leadership, mentorship, and empowerment to the Teacher Assistants by effectively communicating information regarding development and learning, scheduling, duties, and all other relevant information.
- Create and maintain an accurate and updated profile on the Aspire Registry. Participate in all professional development requirements, including coaching/mentoring, and work with Education Coordinator/Coach to set professional goals and maintain an Individual Professional Development Portfolio.
- Maintain accurate documentation in the classroom monthly binder and submit by designated deadline to administrative team.
- Promote continuous quality improvement for the achievement of stated program goals by working with program staff, service providers, consultants, and other relevant community agencies.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: The Child Care Teacher shall carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable Tribal rules. Responsibilities also include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining the Child Care Teacher Assistant.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- 9 college credits in Early Childhood, Child Development or a related field, two years of experience related to caring for children, one of which must be related to working with infants or toddlers; with a plan of study leading to an associate's degree in early childhood or related field, or a CDA to be completed within three years.
- Knowledge of the Mohawk language and traditions is preferred.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Exhibit a friendly and courteous manner while maintaining a high level of professionalism in relationships with children, families, visitors, colleagues, other staff members, management, and community members.
- Positively deal with crisis situations. Deal with hostile, aggressive persons or situations.
- Be aware and sensitive to the needs that may arise when handling stressful and demanding circumstances. Immediate debriefing will be made available.
- Assist in maintaining a safe working environment in the ELC.
- Promote a positive image of the ELC and foster a climate of respect and integrity.
- Ability to implement regulations that govern programs for young children; acknowledging that all staff will cooperate to implement a program that far exceeds minimum regulations.
- Ability to ensure that the rights and needs of children are the highest priority, while also recognizing the needs of other family members.
- To provide needed human and financial resources that will benefit families and children.
- To contribute to the ongoing review, evaluation and modification of services as needed by the community, families and children.
- To provide information about the services of the program to the community and to engage staff in cooperative problem solving, planning and continuing evaluation of themselves and the program.
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of non- discrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job-related factor. The SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
The successful candidate must pass a test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed. The successful candidate must pass a criminal background check prior to employment.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to email@example.com or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.
EMPLOYEE COVID VACCINATION POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe has adopted a “Tribal Employee Vaccination Policy” that requires all employees to be “Fully Vaccinated” against the Coronavirus. Applicants are not required to disclose their vaccination status at the time of application; however, they must do so upon becoming the successful candidate. The successful applicant must submit their proof of vaccination status, apply for a Medical Exemption or begin the vaccination process. If the successful applicant is not vaccinated, they will be required to receive their first vaccine dose prior to starting employment and must receive their second dose, if applicable, within 30 days of employment.