College & Career Specialist
Job Closing: Dec 3, 2020
Job Code: 25-3099
Salary Level: $30,617.60 - $50,856.00
Reports to: Higher Education Program Manager
SUMMARY: The College & Career Specialist will advise, coordinate, recruit, educate and retain new and current clients in middle, high school, and college levels. Will be responsible for assisting eligible Tribal enrolled youth and adults with college and career services. They will aid clients in identifying and pursuing their academic and career potential. This position requires that the individual work directly with clients through the Education Division of the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe – PL 102-477 Tribal Learning Assistance Program (TLAP), the Salmon River, and Massena Central School Districts, and various post-secondary institutions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identify, recruit, and assist eligible clients to apply for TLAP/ Higher Education Services
- Meet with TLAP Clients; assists client with the needs assessment, Individual Success Plan (ISP), and track and maintain TLAP client files that align with their ISP.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement college & career exploration, exposure, and readiness events and activities for students in grades 6 – 12, through adults interested in college/ university, vocational trades, or graduate school.
- Ability to provide instruction to individual or groups of clients to assist and prepare clients for college & career preparation activities: career inventory, financial aid, FAFSA, TAP, SRMT TLAP, SRMT Trust Scholarship, other scholarships/ grants, Common App, SUNY Applications.
- Maintain all client information in the Tribal D Case Management system.
- Present & provide client skills development workshops: study skills, note-taking, time management, budgeting, problem solving, test-taking strategies, life skills, self-advocacy, self-care, identity, and culture.
- Exhibit courtesy, professionalism, and positive regard at all times with clients, teachers, staff, and the public. Promote an organized, safe, supportive learning environment to nurture productivity, learning, & growth.
- Attend staff meetings, conferences, training, workshops, and collaborative meetings as required to maintain and improve professional competence and service.
- Coordinate, publicize, and present educational events/activities through collaborations and communication with other educational professionals/ programs in order to better serve our clients, increase awareness of services/ programs, and opportunities available.
- Chaperone and supervise clients on various enrichment trips, college visits and/ or activities on college visits as approved by Higher Education Program Manager.
- Advise and support clients, providing moral, personal, and academic support as needed.
- Organize, implement, and oversee the Career Pathways Program. Responsible for hiring, training, & termination of employees.
- Maintains records of educational activities, events, presentations performed, and tracks clients served. Surveys client population to assess needs, interest, & success of events.
- Prepare letters, monthly/ final reports, maintain current client roster, track statistical data, and client achievement reports as needed by the Higher Education Program.
- Assists Education Division Program Managers and Director of Education in budgets, reports, and proposals.
- Other job duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Responsible for supervision of students in the classroom and while chaperoning various educational field trips throughout the year. Responsible for supervision of staff & students in the Career Pathways Program.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Due to the sensitive nature of information and student files maintained within all Education programs, must maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES: Knowledge of career exploration activities, scholarship opportunities, FAFSA and TAP application, educational guidance, conflict resolution, and trauma informed care would be considered an asset. Must possess strong organizational skills and computer skills (i.e. Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and experience with varying databases. Excellent writing and communications skills, ADP training is an asset but not required. Computer testing in the applicable skills may be a requirement during the interview process.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associates degree required, Bachelor’s preferred in the fields of education, psychology, counseling, human services, or other professional degree
- Experience in the field of education and working with students, preferred.
- Able to facilitate group presentations, discussions and workshops.
- Familiarity with college financial aid available to students.
- Must be willing to travel and work evenings/weekends.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instruction furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Consideration will be given to an equivalent, relevant combination of education/experience in the Education field.
Possession of a valid State Driver License in accordance with Fleet Policy.
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to email@example.com or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.