Job Closing: Sep 28, 2018
Division: Health Services, Dental Clinic
Job Code: 29-2021
Salary Range: $27.74 to $37.14 per hour
Status: Permanent, part-time, non-exempt
SUMMARY: The Dental Hygienist will work with collaboratively with department staff to perform clinic related functions under the supervision of the Head Dentist.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Removing calcareous deposits, accretions and stains from the exposed surfaces of the teeth which begin at the epithelial attachment.
- The use of sonic, ultrasonic, and piezoelectric devices for the removal of supra or sub-gingival calculus, which includes scaling and root planning.
- Applying topical agents indicated for a complete dental prophylaxis.
- Placing and removing temporary restorations and placing dental sealants.
- Placing and exposing X-ray films.
- Performing topical fluoride applications, desensitizing agents and topical anesthetic applications.
- Taking medical history and review patient’s medical and dental history and consult with the attending dentist for any medically compromised patients prior to treatment.
- Taking blood glucose and blood pressure readings when appropriate.
- Oral Cancer screening, head and neck examinations including all soft and hard tissues.
- Performing oral health education, dietary counseling and the implementation of treatment plans for plaque control based on individual needs.
- Planning, maintaining, and implementing a recall system with the aid of the dental receptionist.
- Responsible for maintaining and ordering hygiene materials as needed (i.e. toothbrushes, toothpaste, fluoride, etc.) with prior approval of the Dental Program Manager.
- To assist the dental program at health fairs, career days, and other presentations in the community.
- To assist with preschool programs for the annual dental screenings and quarterly application of fluoride.
- To assist with school based sealant program.
- Maintaining the equipment on a daily and weekly basis for proper function.
- Properly disinfecting, bagging, dating, and sterilizing the dental instruments.
- Will adhere to universal precautions at all times.
- Will maintain all requirements for New York State Dental Hygiene Licensure (C.E. requirements, BLS certification).
- Abide by the Saint Regis Mohawk Health Services Department policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the parameters of your certification and licensure.
- Maintain strict patient confidentiality.
- Be on time for work.
- Completion of an accredited dental hygiene program.
- Current unrestricted NYS Dental Hygiene License.
- Current BLS certification.
- Minimum five years’ experience.
- Experience with electronic dental records, e.g. dentrix software.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Strong oral and written communication skills required. Must have excellent computer skills including word, excel, and experience with varying databases.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.