Diabetes Nurse Case Manager
Job Closing: Mar 30, 2018
Division: Health Services, Let's Get Healthy Program
Job Code: 29-1141
Status: Full-time, permanent, exempt
SUMMARY: Through a case management approach, the Diabetes Nurse Case Manager provides diabetes prevention education for persons at high risk and self-management education for persons with diabetes. This is met in collaboration with the Saint Regis Mohawk Health Service (SRMHS) medical providers by implementing the Indian Health Service (IHS) Standards of Care.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Provides program leadership and support to meet the goals of the Let’s Get Healthy Program and/or the Diabetes Grant as applicable.
- Tracks participant care and progress associated with baseline and annual medical assessments related to physician follow-up, lab testing and body composition measures as part of IHS Standards of Care in Diabetes and/or special project requirements.
- Conducts and monitors diabetes prevention and self-management education for all program participants.
- Provides leadership to meet participant needs for nutrition, fitness, stress-reduction, smoking cessation, heart disease risk reduction support, weight management and education.
- Participates in a case management approach in diabetes care which may include coordination and/or assistance to arrange diabetes care planning with medical providers of the SRMHS.
- Seeks to understand and support the administrative tasks of the grant related to continuation application tasks, personnel management, budgeting, etc.
- Documents appropriate participant care as established by the program requirements and within the Saint Regis Mohawk Health Service delivery system.
- Able to travel as applicable for special project meetings and/or specialized training.
- Works with the entire program team to meet the needs of all program participants, especially those at high risk for heart disease.
- Co-leads community-based screenings to identify new cases of diabetes.
- Participates in planning and implementing community-based activities and events.
- Participates to promote Best Practice strategies in diabetes care, physical activity, nutrition, diabetes case management, etc.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Assists the Program Coordinator in the day-to-day supervision of program staff and operations to promote effective office operations in terms of project recruitment, retention, case management, data collection and community-based events.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to clearly demonstrate strengths in leadership, decision-making and effective problem-solving skills and sound application of behavioral health strategies.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Registered Nurse with a current license to practice in New York State with two years supervisory experience.
- At least two years of clinical experience with skillful knowledge in diabetes, heart disease, case management and community education strategies.
- Certified as Diabetes Educator is considered a strong asset.
- Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing is considered a strong asset.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Strong oral and written communication skills required. Must have excellent computer skills, including word, and experience documenting in an electronic health record system is preferred.
REASONING ABILITY: Must be able to demonstrate sound approaches in problem-solving, conflict resolution and team leadership.
Must be at least 18 years of age, have and maintain a valid driver’s license with a clean drivers abstract in accordance with the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Fleet Policy.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to email@example.com or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 412 State Route 37, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.