Education Specialist (JW Leary)
Job Closing: Nov 27, 2017
Division: Education, Johnson O'Malley
Job Code: 25-3099
Status: Full-time, term (Sept - June), non-exempt
SUMMARY: The Education Specialist will be responsible for assisting eligible Tribal enrolled youth with tutorial and career services in the areas of Math, Science, English, Global Studies and History within the Massena Central School District at the J.W. Leary Junior High for grades 7 and 8.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Plans course content and method of tutorial instruction specific to the youth in need.
- Assist with study skills and strategies such as note taking, preparing for exams, time management, and organizational skills.
- Identify and recruit Native American students with the Guidance Department to seek out students in need of educational assistance and career guidance.
- Attend staff meetings as well as meetings with other programs that service our target schools as scheduled. Create a good working relationship with teachers, school personnel, Guidance department, students and parents.
- Provide a positive and safe environment and support students, teachers, and staff of the school.
- Professional behavior in the classroom and with students, teachers, and staff.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and final reports as needed by the JOM program.
- Reporting should include list of students, completed needs assessment, grade, subjects, progress reports, concerns and/or accomplishment and recommendations.
- Keep daily log of attendance and progress reports for each JOM student.
- Assist with school staff in planning and implementing activities, such as, Native American Day celebration or other Native events scheduled.
- Assist and work with other programs in order to better serve our student population.
- Plan, implement and keep records for and recommend students for Honor Roll and Perfect Attendance Incentives Program.
- Chaperone and supervise students on various JOM field trips and/or activities.
- Provide career exploration, career exposure, and college readiness for grades 7-8.
- Provide support to the guidance department and offer services that will assist students in their college planning. These duties will include planning and implementing college trips for High School students, help students with SAT/ACT preparation and filling out the applications for testing, and help students with the college application process.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: To represent the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Education Division and the Johnson O’Malley Program. Responsible for supervision of students in the classroom and while chaperoning field trips.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Mandatory Associates degree (A. A.) from two-year College or a two-year certificate program or four-year degree in related field with experience working with Native American students in a related field and related experience in a supervisory position.
- Must be willing to travel and work evenings and weekends.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Strong oral and written communication skills required. Must have excellent computer skills including word and excel for reporting and staffing payroll purposes.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of daily situations.
Must be at least 18 years of age, have and maintain a valid driver’s license with a clean drivers abstract in accordance with the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Fleet Policy.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 412 State Route 37, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.