Election Board Member and Alternates
Job Closing: Feb 19, 2019
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe is seeking one (1) individual to serve on the Election Board to fulfill term ending September 2020, with possibility of reappointment for a five (5) year term. The Tribe is also seeking two (2) alternates to serve on the Board for terms of three (3) years or until their successors are appointed. The Election Board directs and manages the security and integrity of Caucus, Elections and Referendums in accordance with the Tribal Election and Referendum Ordinance (the “Ordinance”). Alternates are expected to attend Election Board meetings and act in situations such as absent board members, resignations, recusals, or while an existing vacancy is being filed. Compensation is provided based on rate set by Tribal Council. The Election Board shall perform all required responsibilities as identified in the Ordinance including, but not limited to:
- Provide public notices of the date, time, and place for Caucus, Elections, and Referendums;
- Providing information on candidate and voter eligibility;
- Call for and receive nominations;
- Confirm candidates meet the eligibility criteria, in accordance with the Ordinance;
- Prepare ballots;
- Ensure at least one (1) Tribal Police Officer is present at polling stations from opening to closing and witness the counting process;
- Verify that all ballot boxes are empty with the Tribal Police Officer, prior to start of voting;
- Supervise the counting of ballots at the polling closure;
- Prepare request to ensure ballot boxes are available for voting;
- Prior to elections, arrange personnel to work election tasks;
- Ensure a sufficient number of voting booths;
- Provide tally sheets to record election results;
- Officially and publicly announce election results;
- Maintain accurate and organized records of all elections, referendums, petitions, appeals, and any other documents related to the administration of the Ordinance; and
- Maintain records of decisions, to base future decisions and ensure consistency and uniformity of the law.
To serve on the Election Board, individuals must meet the criteria of an eligible voter:
- Be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
- Be an enrolled member of the SRMT.
- Reside in the U.S. or in the U.S. portion of Akwesasne for at least six months.
- Name must be on the most current eligible voters list.
For more information, please contact Cathy Mitchell at 518-358-2272. Applicants must submit letter of interest and current resume to email@example.com or by mail/in person by Tuesday, February 19, 2019 to:
Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe
ATTN: Cathy Mitchell
71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way Akwesasne, NY 13655
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.