Generations Park General Laborer
Open Until Filled
Job Code: 49-9071 Hours: Wednesday-Sunday, 12:00pm-8:00pm
Salary: $31,553.60-$50,377.60 Status: Full-time, Permanent
Exempt: Non-exempt Location: Generations Park
Department: Executive Directors’ Office Reports To: Parks & Recreation Manager
The Generations Park General Laborer is responsible for the general maintenance of the Generations Park Complex and must ensure that all amenities are safe, clean, and in working condition. The General Laborer will be required to perform physical labor both indoors and outdoors, using a variety of equipment, and in all weather conditions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends with flexible hours as needed.
- Operate a variety of equipment including mowers, tractors, snow plows, chemical sprayers, field stripers and other equipment as assigned.
- Able to perform minor repairs on equipment and facilities. Able to contact a maintenance service shop for major repairs.
- Maintain park, amenities, fields, and trails as directed, to ensure compliance with all safety and aesthetic requirements. Training will be provided.
- Ability to work outdoors during the winter to perform plowing, salting, shoveling, and arena ice maintenance duties.
- Ensure safety of Park property by observing community members, monitoring surveillance equipment; securing buildings, inspecting equipment, and controlling access points.
- Maintain records, manage inventory, and determine needed supplies and equipment.
- Maintain outside grounds: remove snow, ice and debris, cut grass, spray and remove weeds, water and stripe fields, and pick up trash as needed.
- General housekeeping responsibilities: cleaning bathrooms, sweeping, disinfecting, locking/unlocking doors, turning lights on/off, and general grounds maintenance.
- Control plant growth and development: both desired and undesired growths.
- Prepare soil, mix planting soil following prescribed procedures, dig holes, sow seeds and plant cuttings, transplants trees, shrubs, flowers and plants, graft and bud plants, prune and shape plants. Training will be provided.
- Collect, organize, read, and interpret data for proper application and safety protocols for required hazardous materials.
- Ascertain growing schedules and record deviations from established procedures.
- Interact with community members in a positive and courteous manner.
- Assist with community events as needed.
- Assist with laborer duties at other SRMT properties as needed.
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The General Laborer must have a working knowledge of general carpentry, mechanical, and plumbing work. Must enjoy working outdoors. Ability to work flexible work hours as needed. Possess a strong attention to detail and have good observation skills to detect equipment and facility malfunctions, disease in plants, pests, and safety concerns. Interact in a positive and courteous manner with community members.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: High school diploma, GED, or equivalent experience in grounds keeping, light maintenance, and housekeeping duties. A valid Driver’s License is required. Must possess physical strength and stamina. Must be able to lift 75 lbs.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES: Ability to follow safe procedures when handling chemicals or operating machinery. Ability to effectively multi-task, establish priorities, and work independently in a busy environment. Have a strong interest and working knowledge of plants and their needs regarding environmental conditions and fertilization.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables. Must exhibit initiative, responsibility, flexibility, and communication skills.
Must be at least 18 years of age, have and maintain a valid driver’s license with a clean driver abstract in accordance with the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Fleet Policy.
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to a policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job-related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified Native applicants.
The successful candidate must pass a test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
The successful candidate must pass a criminal background check prior to employment.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, and supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses). Applicants that are eligible for native preference must include Tribal Identification Card, Status Card or letter to be eligible for Native Preference. All submissions can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as a PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job-related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
All positions require the successful candidate to pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes. Depending on the position there maybe multiple background checks.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used for Emergency Hire individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.
EMPLOYEE COVID VACCINATION POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe Health Services has adopted a “Vaccination Policy” that requires ONLY Health Service employees to be “Fully Vaccinated” against the Coronavirus. The Vaccine requirement DOES NOT apply to positions that are not Health Services employees. Health Service Applicants are not required to disclose their vaccination status at the time of application; however, they must do so upon becoming the successful candidate. The successful applicant must submit their proof of vaccination status or they may submit a Medical Exemption form upon being notified that they are the successful candidate. At that point, the policy will apply to them as though they were already employed.