Head Start Education Supervisor
Open Until Filled
Division: Education, Early Childhood Development
Job Code: 11-9031
Status: Full-time, permanent, non-exempt
SUMMARY: Under the general direction of the ECDP Program Manager, the Education Supervisor is responsible for ensuring that programming is age appropriate, meets best practice standards and enhances each child’s individual level of development. This person acts as a mentor for the teaching staff by modeling best practices in the classroom, overseeing curriculum development and program implementation, monitoring child development outcomes, evaluating the classroom environment and actively supervising the teaching staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Adhere to all policies and standards as per Tribal Personnel Policies, Head Start Performance Standards, NYS OCFS Child Care Licensing Regulations, and all other applicable regulations pertaining to health, safety and sanitation.
- Supervises teaching staff in accordance with ECDP policies and procedures. Ensures staff and parent involvement is included in the curriculum design process.
- Oversees daily implementation of the curriculum by reviewing lesson plans weekly and through classroom observations.
- Ensures classroom design, learning materials and lesson plans are developmentally appropriate.
- Ensures all classrooms are fully equipped and that timely processing of purchase requests for needed supplies is completed.
- Ensures that monthly reports are completed in a timely manner.
- Arranges appropriate field trips (with rain dates, if needed) as approved by the ECDP Program Manager.
- Coordinates planning time for teaching staff. Schedules training for staff according to requests, needs and requirements.
- Coordinates early literacy activities in collaboration with the Home Base Coordinator and Childcare Education Supervisor.
- Participates in staff/parent meetings and training.
- Ensures all documentation is submitted in a timely manner.
- Works closely with the Transportation Coordinator to facilitate transportation needs.
- Assists the Program Manager in determining programming costs for inclusion in the budget.
- Ensures execution of all transition plans with cooperation with elementary schools.
- Assists the Nurse in implementation of disabilities service plan for meeting the special needs of children with disabilities and their families, including integration of children with disabilities in the program, access to resources and annual update of plan.
- Reviews and complies with information noted in the Material Safety Data Sheets.
Responsibilities include screening applicants, interviewing, hiring, training, orientation, performance appraisals, disciplining employees, addressing complaints and concerns and documentation of follow up actions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- A Baccalaureate or advanced degree in Early Childhood Education or advanced degree and coursework equivalent to a major relating to early childhood education.
- Preferred a minimum two years experience working in the Early Childhood field.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Knowledge of Head Start and Childcare program is preferred.
- Knowledge of Mohawk language and traditions is preferred.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Strong oral and written communication skills required. Must have computer skills including Microsoft programs.
The Education Supervisor shall have the ability to research funding opportunities, gather educational information and utilize this information to coordinate teaching staff to deliver quality programming to the children in the Childcare Program.
- To implement regulations that govern programs for young children; acknowledging that all staff will cooperate to implement a program that far exceeds minimum regulations.
- To ensure that the rights and needs of children are the highest priority, while also recognizing the need of other family members.
- To provide needed human and financial resources that will benefit families and children.
- To contribute to the ongoing review, evaluation and modification of services as needed by the community, families and children.
- To provide information about the services of the program to the community.
- To engage staff in cooperative problem solving, planning and continuing evaluation of themselves and the program.
- To work in collaboration with Childcare staff, ECDP Program Manager and other Tribal programs to deliver quality programming to the children in the Head Start Program.
Must be at least 18 years of age, have and maintain a valid driver’s license with a clean drivers abstract in accordance with the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Fleet Policy.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 412 State Route 37, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.