Health Information Management Technician
Job Closing: Sep 22, 2021
Job Code: 29-2072
Status: Full-time, Permanent
Location: Health Services
Department: Business Office
Reports to: Health Information & Referrals Supervisor
SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Health Information & Referrals Supervisor, the Health Information Management Technician will compile, process and maintain protected health information of health care services in a manner consistent with medical, administrative, ethical, legal and regulatory requirements in all areas of the Business Office. Health Information Management Technician will provide administrative support, coordination and technical assistance on incomplete documentation and health record documentation requirements. Health Information Management Technician will work as part of the business office team in planning, coordination and management of the health care delivery system.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Performs a comprehensive review of medical records to ensure the presence of all component parts of the record, including correct identification and validation.
- Analyzes medical record for completeness, consistency and compliance with regulatory requirements in accordance with business office policies and procedures.
- Applies knowledge of privacy and confidentiality requirements affecting individual patients and disclosure of protected health information.
- Educates requestors on requirements for submitting requests for health information.
- Communicates with clinical staff to obtain provider signatures or completion of documents prior to scanning into patient’s electronic health record.
- Processes request for information from patients’ medical records for release to outside facilities, hospitals, clinics, and physicians in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Processes releases of information for attorneys and courts, schools, patients transfer of care, department of social services, disability claims, etc.
- Records all releases of information in the release of information (ROIS), including the requestor, record status, type of disclosure, purpose of disclosure, detailed description, and receiver of information.
- Scans patient medical information using VISTA imaging software in to correct patient chart in to the correct electronic health record (EHR) system, including verifying patient name, date of birth, sending notification to patients’ primary care provider in a timely manner within 24 hours to ensure that information becomes available for patients care, and attaching information to approved referral.
- Reopens locked visits upon providers request to allow provider to update patient’s electronic health record.
- Responsible for tracking, retrieving and performing follow up activities with regard to medical records.
- Trains new/inexperienced staff in health information management procedures.
- Assists in the development and modifications of business office policies and procedures.
- Assures HIPAA compliance with regard to disclosure of protected health information.
- Able to deal with patients sensitively and professionally at all times.
- Attends meetings/trainings as requested by business office supervisor.
- Other related duties as assigned (including patient registration, referrals, purchased/referred care, accounts payable, accounts receivable and third-party billing departments).
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: There are no supervisor requirements for this position.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Due to the sensitive nature of information and personnel files maintained within Human Resources, must maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Medical office, medical records, and/or billing experience preferred, and High School diploma or equivalent.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Strong oral and written communication skills required. Must have excellent computer skills including word and excel.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor.
The successful candidate must pass a test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
The successful candidate must pass a criminal background check prior to employment.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to email@example.com or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.