Heating & Plumbing Technician
Job Closing: Aug 17, 2022
Job Code: 47-2152
Division: Facilities Management
Salary Range: $22.36 - $ 35.70/Hr.
Location: Tribal Buildings
Reports to: Mechanical Crew Leader
Description of Position: The Heating and Plumbing Technician will be responsible for general service repair installation and maintenance requirements for SRMT facilities. Duties will range from basic, intermediate and advanced plumbing, to include plumbing service, repair installation of plumbing systems, hot water tanks and general knowledge heating repair and service. The position will work in close conjunction with the HVAC Technician specific to heating and Air Conditioning service including, boilers, Fuel Oil and Propane fired heating systems service and repair. This position includes general building maintenance related services as may be assigned. Will work in close consultation with Mechanical Crew Leader on a regular basis.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
general duties are as noted but are not limited to the following:
• To be aware of at all times through training and trade related journals on current code application and standards specific to the heating and plumbing maintenance field,
• To perform regular maintenance, inspection, testing, and repair plumbing systems and restroom facilities and equipment in coordination with the Mechanical Crew Leader (MCL) on all assigned Tribal buildings,
• In Coordination with the MCL and the HVAC Technician assist in and repair of components and equipment during maintenance of all HVAC systems, to include hydronic heating equipment, propane and or oil-fired equipment,
• In Coordination with the MCL and the Maintenance Supervisor, will assist in and perform repairs to plumbing components and equipment, performs regular maintenance of all plumbing systems, with focus on water pumps, sewer collection systems and attachments, addressing water leaks and service repair,
• Develop materials lists and estimate cost of assigned projects and repairs,
• Monitors and reports on operation and maintenance needs for installed heating, plumbing/ pumping/ hydronic heat systems in coordination with the MCL consistent with the equipment manufacturer recommendations,
• Troubleshoot, service and or repair basic septic sewer systems, plugged sewer lines, site specific pump stations, operate specialized equipment to facilitate clearing of plugged sewer systems and lines as needed,
• Maintains service log record of repairs and services made to structures, equipment and attachments to include cost, materials used or equipment changed, and report to MCL, and the Maintenance Supervisor as required,
• Operate and maintain equipment in accordance to equipment manufacture recommendations, within recommended safety and code or guidelines, inclusive of establishing maintenance recommendations for same,
• To perform random spot tests of plumbing systems operation and control, correct and repair identified defective systems,
• To inspect plumbing systems at regular intervals to include pump-up units, grease traps and equipment where installed,
• Establish and implement Preventive Maintenance Plan for equipment as assigned to include daily, weekly, month inspection cycles per manufacture recommendations,
• Complies with established Health and Safety guidelines and Tribal Policies as issued,
• Operate and use construction equipment and tools, such as forklift, scissor lift and or back hoe, power tools and hand tools as may be required, plow truck and winter sanding equipment,
• Participate in snow clearing of all Tribal facilities we are assigned to maintain, to include snow plowing, clearing, sanding and salting of access sidewalks and drive ways during winter months as needed,
• Participates in the Facilities Maintenance Department 'On Call' program for after hours and weekend operation as assigned,
• Assist in and perform grounds keeping duties as may be assigned intermittently
• Willing to work after hours/ weekends and or emergencies as may be required from time to time or as scheduled,
• Additional intermittent duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The positions must be trained in the field in accordance with educational standards established for the trade. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. The Heating and Plumbing Technician staff member will also have a working knowledge of general carpentry, electrical and general mechanical equipment work.
Education and/or Experience:
High School Graduate/ GED, with Vocational School training/ training certificates related to the job duties outlined, and or diploma from technical school specific to plumbing with one-year hands on trade experience or equivalent combination of
education and plumbing experience, have detailed working knowledge of plumbing systems and service requirement, working knowledge of oil and propane heating equipment, to include forced air furnaces and boiler systems.
Other Skills and Abilities:
Strong oral and written communication skills required. Must have computer skills including word, excel and research capacity for parts and materials, experience with varying parts databases is considered an asset. Be physically able to lift up to 50 pounds, work in areas of extreme environmental changes between heat and cold, under varying weather conditions. Must be able to climb, crawl, bend stand kneels for prolonged periods while in the performance of the identified duties and tasks, travel to off-site locations may be required, able to recognize the hazards associated with the trade. Have a working knowledge of basic carpentry, electrical and building construction as a whole.
Reasoning Abilities: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations in a fast-paced fluid environment. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to a policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job-related factor.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to email@example.com or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.