Home Delivered Meals/Transport Driver
Job Closing: Feb 23, 2018
Division: Office foe the Aging
Job Code: 53-3033
Status: Full-time, permanent, non-exempt
SUMMARY: Under the general direction of the Nutrition Coordinator, the Home Delivered Meal Carrier is responsible for packing, driving, and delivering meals to elderly clients in their place of residence, while using safe driving practices. As a Transport Driver, the driver must transport and assist elders for medical appointments and shopping.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Communicate effectively with kitchen staff to be aware of any special requests or meal schedules that have been established or altered for HDM clients.
- Have the correct meal route sheet. Assists in packing the correct number of home-delivered meals as scheduled and assigned.
- Load meal carriers into program vehicles, delivery of meals, unloading meal carriers and putting away to designated storage space.
- Cleans and sanitizes coolers and food equipment used in deliveries on a daily basis.
- Greets customers in a polite and cordial manner and expresses patience, caring and respect.
- Monitors well-being of customers (i.e. health, living conditions, services needed, etc.) and makes report to supervisor.
- Assist clients needing emergency care or assistance by contacting appropriate person or care provider.
- Distributes and collects materials to/from customers (i.e. contribution envelopes, flyers, surveys, etc.) as required.
- Maintain accurate record of meals delivered and contributions received.
- Must Ensure a high quality nutrition service is maintained by monitoring meal temps and client satisfaction
- Must hand in HDM slip daily to their direct supervisor.
- Must drive safely and deliver elderly clients to their medical appointments; assist with interpreting doctor’s instructions or orders, or the need for additional medical appointments.
- When necessary provide assistance during the duration of the transport for shopping and errands
- Maintain client confidentiality at all times.
- Monitor gas, oil, and notify supervisor of any needed vehicle repairs.
- Provide incident reports when a situation resulting in accident or damage occurs.
- Maintain accurate records for vehicle mileage.
- Attend training as required.
- Fill-in for Bus Driver as needed, CDL only
- Perform any other job related duties as required.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: The incumbent must have good verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with supervisor, team members and elderly clients. Mohawk language is considered an asset. Food service operations and procedures; food sanitation and safe food handling practices. Be dependable, honest, and understand and maintain client confidentiality. Must have the ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions. Some knowledge of the area and/or ability to follow directions. Pleasant & caring personality when dealing with elderly clients. Clean and neat personal appearance and clothes.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: High School Diploma or equivalent. Possession of a valid CPR/First Aid Certificate will be considered an asset. CDL would be an asset.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The incumbent may be exposed to seasonal elements such as ice and snow in the winter and extreme heat during the summer.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This position involves heavy physical labor at times and the ability to lift objects weighting up to 25 pounds. Must have good hearing and good vision.
Must be at least 18 years of age, have and maintain a valid driver’s license with a clean drivers abstract in accordance with the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Fleet Policy.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Status Card or letter) by email to email@example.com or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 412 State Route 37, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.