Human Resource Generalist/Payroll Specialist
Job Closing: Jun 23, 2021
Job Code: 13-1071
Salary: $41,683.20 - $73,486.40
Location: Community Building
Department: Human Resources
Reports To: Human Resources Director
SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Human Resources Director, the Payroll Specialist is responsible for the payroll activities for all tribal employees, approximately 700. The Human Resource Payroll Specialist assumes responsibility for developing, monitoring and ensuring that all payroll/timekeeping programs are operating within guidelines of the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe policies and procedures, internal control standards and objectives by performing the following duties:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Exhibit a friendly and courteous manner when dealing with our employees and fellow associates.
- Review time sheets, work charts, wage computation and other information to detect and reconcile payroll discrepancies.
- Assist in processing paperwork for new employees and enter employee information into the payroll system.
- Verify attendance, hours worked, pay adjustments and post information into designated records.
- Compute wages and deductions, and enter data into payroll system.
- Record employee information, such as exemptions, transfers and resignations to maintain and update payroll process.
- Process and issue employee paychecks and statements of earnings and deductions.
- Maintain and record leave, vacation, personal and sick time for employees.
- Compile employee time, production, and payroll data from timesheets and other records.
- Distribute and collect timecards each pay period as required.
- Issue and record adjustments to pay related to previous errors or retroactive increases.
- Determine and administer payroll changes when required to payroll account as a result of promotion, demotion, termination or transfer of staff.
- Maintain automated time clock system by providing employees with timecards, instructions on use and update computerized files for the payroll system.
- Coordinates posting of payroll entries into automated financial system. Ensure accurate, balanced entries made. Prepares required entries for bank reconciliation for automated payroll debits/adjustments to main account.
- Requisitions all payments required for withheld payroll deductions, remits to agencies.
- With assistance from Benefits Specialist, establish, maintain, track and report cost-to-hire rates for all departments within the organization.
- Produce bi-weekly reports for supervisors on current leave balances for all employees.
- Assist in maintaining employee identification card database by entering new employees and deleting information upon termination of employment. Prepares identification cards for staff as needed.
- Provides advice and guidance to the Human Resource Director and employees regarding payroll, payroll procedures.
- Prepares general ledger file for upload into automated Financial system;
- Upload payroll data into the Tribe’s 401k plan.
- Provide information to employees and managers on payroll matters and tax issues.
- Establish, maintain, track and report absence rates for all departments within the organization.
- Ensure payroll certification forms are created and sent to Program Directors on a bi-yearly basis.
- Process Liens, Child Wage and Benefit Supports documentation, Loan Applications, and other requirements for employees and agencies.
- Other related duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: There are no supervisor requirements for this position.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Due to the sensitive nature of information and personnel files maintained within Human Resources, must maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Associates degree (A. A.) from two-year College or University in Human Resources, Public Administration, Employment Law, Accounting or related field and 3 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Consideration will be given to an equivalent, relevant combination of education/experience in the Human Resource or benefits field. Senior Professional in Human Resource (SPHR) and/or Tribal Human Resource Professional certification is an asset. Upon hire, must work toward and obtain both, or equivalent certifications.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Strong oral and written communication skills required. Must have excellent computer skills including word and excel, access training is an asset but not required. Computer testing in the applicable skills may be a requirement during the interview process.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.