Job Closing: Jan 21, 2021
Job Code: 25-1062
Status: Full-time, term
Location: ACR Building
Reports to: ACR Program Coordinator
Language Specialist will be responsible with teaching students in a full immersion Mohawk language teaching environment with the goal of developing Mohawk speakers. The Language Specialist will focus on establishing a strong Mohawk language foundation through daily classroom instruction.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following, but not limited to:
- Provide daily instruction to the students in the Mohawk language.
- Provide evaluations and maintain records of the students’ progress.
- Assess the students using the Oral Proficiency Interviews (OPI).
- Develop curriculum for implementing the language and activities.
- Produce materials such as cds, dvds, books, etc to promote the use of Mohawk Language in Akwesasne.
- Participate in workshops or events conducted by the ACPR program.
- Promote health and safety of apprentices and all others involved.
- Submit monthly reports to supervisor in a timely manner
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILTIIES: Yes
- Previous teaching experience in the Mohawk Language.
- Must have significant knowledge of Mohawk grammar, linguistics, and instructional techniques.
- Fluent with advanced or higher level of proficiency in written and oral Mohawk Language.
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with staff, community members, and facilitators of the Cultural Restoration Program.
- Must be available to work at flexible hours considering the cultural activity and seasonal changes.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Minimum High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
Consideration will be given to an equivalent, relevant combination of education/experience.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Certification in Oral Proficiency Interviews (OPI) is an asset.
- Ability to utilize teaching methods focused on morphology is an asset.
- Ability to adapt to a fast-paced changing environment and handle multiple priorities.
- Computer literacy preferred.
- Knowledge of ceremonies is an asset.
Must be at least 21 years of age, have and maintain a valid driver’s license with a clean drivers abstract in accordance with the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Fleet Policy.
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor.
The successful candidate must pass a test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
I have reviewed this Job Description with my immediate Supervisor and I understand the contents of it.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.