Job Closing: Dec 7, 2018
Division: Environment, Forestry Resources
Job Code: 45-2092.01
Salary Range: $23,878.40 to $32,177.60
Status: Full-time, permanent, non-exempt
The Nursery Manager is responsible for development of the Tribe’s capacity to grow plant materials for natural resource restoration projects. There will eventually be responsibilities for developing and directing staff in general nursery maintenance and production activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Establish, develop, and maintain a plant nursery for natural resource restoration, reforestation and habitat restoration through personal training and career development, collaboration with various state and private agencies and organizations
- Obtain, install, and maintain a High Tunnel “greenhouse”.
- Develop a professional program capacity in plant nursery operation and management and plant materials handling and care through collaboration and partnering with various partners and agencies
- Represent the Tribe at workshops and conferences to develop and promote the Tribes plant nursery
- Develop a business plan for the Tribe’s plant nursery
- Organize and keep records required for tracking crop production, seed collection and planning raw material purchases.
- Coordinate community workshops on native plant seed collection, handling and care
- Collect plant materials and seeds and grow them for use in restoration projects. This includes watering plants in containers and grounds. Weeding, pruning, and maintaining grounds within the Nursery. Recognizing and managing pests.
- Maintain optimal inventory by propagating native plants and ordering additional plants when necessary from wholesale native plant nurseries. Keep inventory updated and plants correctly labeled.
- Seek funding sources to support the Tribal nursery through grant funding
- Plan for and execute the collection and the care of plant materials and seeds.
- Collaboration with the nursery staff and restoration team to produce, pull, and load requested orders are also essential duties.
- Coordinate program development with other agencies
- Hire/recruit employees/volunteers and train them in nursery techniques.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Supervise activities of other nursery workers.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions and able to carry and lift 50-lbs frequently during the completion of tasks. Willingness to work occasional evening and weekend hours when needed to complete assigned responsibilities may be expected.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Minimum, Horticulture certificate or Associates Degree in nursery management with 3-years minimum experience. Baccalaureate degree natural sciences (e.g. - horticulture, botany, plant biology, wildlife Conservation, Soil Science, Biology, Ecology, Environmental Science) or higher preferred.
Other Skills and Abilities: Strong oral and written communication skills required. Must have excellent computer skills including word, excel, and experience with varying databases. ADP training is an asset but not required. Computer testing in the applicable skills may be a requirement during the interview process.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to email@example.com or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 412 State Route 37, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.