Planning & Infrastructure Director
Job Closing: Mar 8, 2019
Division: Planning & Infrastructure Director
Job Code: 11-021
Salary Range: $41,267.20 to 107,265.60 ($19.84 to 51.57)
Status: Full-time, permanent, exempt
SUMMARY: The Planning & Infrastructure Director leads the planning and coordination of tribal infrastructure growth and development. The Director leads a team focused on improvements to community water, sewer, roads and capital projects through execution of the Planning & Infrastructure Implementation plan which supports the overall Saint Regis Mohawk Tribal Strategic Plan.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
Responsible for leadership and oversight to all programs within Planning & Infrastructure including; Public Works, Capital Projects and Construction.
The Planning & Infrastructure Director will also be responsible to:
- Set objectives and develop implementation plans with program staff in support of the overall SRMT Strategic Plan
- Plan for and monitor long range goals contained with the implementation plan of the Division
- Work in concert with Executive Director’s Office in areas of strategic planning, annual work plans, development of division budgets, on-going needs assessments; actively seek out grant opportunities
- Submission of annual division work plan by February of each year
- Completion of Annual Division Report each year
- Periodically review Capital Project schedule and priority listing with Executive Director and Tribal Council
- Engage in dialogue with community members as needed to discuss tribal infrastructure concerns and issues within the community; public presentations at Tribal Monthly meetings and special meetings, as required.
- Ensure all departmental activities are carried out in compliance with applicable Tribal, State and Federal regulations, including grant and funding agency requirements
- Ensure preparation of feasibility studies, specifications, plans, construction schedules, environmental impact studies, and designs for projects are completed as required
- Ensure inspections of construction sites to monitor progress and ensure conformance to established specifications
- Ensure P&I Division programs work cooperatively with, and provide technical assistance to, other Tribal programs as needed
- Evaluate overall Division and Program operations; work to make improvements where needed
- Prepare Annual Report for Division as required
- Develop, manage and monitor Division budget; monitor short and long-range funding issues and trends. Work with assigned staff accountant to assist where needed
- Meet annual Tribal Fiscal Year budgeting deadlines; present annual budget proposal to Executive Director and Tribal Council
- Liaison with representatives of State and Federal agencies linked to the Planning & Infrastructure Division to maintain appropriate dialogue and communication; plan and attend meetings as necessary
- Ensure proper training and professional development of Planning & Infrastructure Division staff
- Identify and analyze all Division information to provide early warning of potential problems. Proactively investigate and present solutions
- Report to appropriate government agencies as required; ensure compliance with funding awards
- Ensure compliance with Tribal personnel policies, rules and regulations among Division staff
- Schedule and complete annual employee performance reviews in a timely fashion. Ensure Program Managers and other supervisors within Planning & Infrastructure Division do the same
- Provide responsible and professional leadership to the Division staff at all times
- Promote a positive image of the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe. Exhibit courteous demeanor with colleagues and members of the public at all times
- Perform other related duties as assigned
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: The Director shall carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with SRMT policies, procedures and ordinances.
The Director manages subordinate Program Managers in Public Works, Capital Projects and Construction. The Director is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these Program Managers and units. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s Degree (B. A.) from four-year College or University in a related field and 5 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in Project Management required.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Strong oral and written communication skills required. Public presentation experience required. Knowledge of federal funding agencies that deal with infrastructure development is an asset. Must have excellent computer skills including word, excel, and PowerPoint programs. Strong organizational skills are required.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 412 State Route 37, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.