Police Officer (4)
Open Until Filled
Division: Saint Regis Mohawk Tribal Police
Job Code: 33-3051
Salary Range: $41,267.20 to 76,481.60 ($19.84 to 36.77)
Status: Full-time, permanent, non-exempt
SUMMARY: Preserves the peace by responding to calls for service, emergency assistance, performs motorized patrol to residential and business areas within the community, maintains community relations, and practices problem solving techniques in support of the department’s demographic policing community. Also, investigates violations, makes arrests and enforces traffic laws to curtail violations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Reporting directly to the officers patrol sergeant for assignment at the start of their duty tour, in proper attire and equipment necessary for their job assignment
- Providing professional police service to members of the Community and to the general public
- Conducting daily inspection of their patrol vehicle for cleanliness and serviceability
- Responding to calls for service and emergency assistance; rendering aid to the physically injured, handicapped and others requiring assistance, including but not limited to victims of accidents, criminal incidents, natural disasters or other incidents; investigating safety hazards and taking action to curb and/or correct potential problem areas, including road hazards, defects and environmental hazards.
- Responding to calls for assistance involving altercations between people included, but not limited to, domestic disturbances fighting and neighborhood disputes performing traffic control, enforcing Federal, State, tribal ordinances and local laws.
- Protecting and preserving evidence and associated scenes
- Completing thorough preliminary investigations and submitting proper documentation as required by departmental policy
- Notifying a supervisor of major incidents or crimes they have responded to, without unnecessary delay
- Familiar with places of business, industries and schools as well as gathering places for members of the Community. Officers shall attempt to ascertain hours of operation being aware of areas of congestion and dangerous conditions
- Provide traffic control through Vehicle and Traffic Law enforcement, the investigation of motor vehicle accidents, directing traffic and random patrol
- Proactively enforcing laws, conducting traffic stops, serving warrants, directed patrol and other functions when not on another assignment
- Locating and developing information and facilitating the exchange of information between officers, investigators and other police agencies
- Investigates violations, makes arrests and enforces traffic laws to curtail violations.
- Preparation of incident / accident reports, affidavits, citations, legal documents, memorandums and other job related documents and prepares for court testimony.
- Assist other members of the department including the Detective Division with assignments and investigations as assigned.
- Maintain and foster open communication with members of the departments Detective Division.
- Submit all reports upon completion to the officers patrol sergeant
- Performs other duties and assignments as directed by a sergeant or other competent authority.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: There are no supervisor requirements for this position.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge skills and or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Participates in job related training and courses to maintain skills knowledge and abilities necessary to perform their duties. Safely operate police vehicles in routine and emergency situations.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
The education and or experience for the police officers position shall be determined by the Police Chief and the Police Commission.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Strong oral and written communication skills are required in conjunction with the following: knowledge of the principles and practices of modern police administration and police methods.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral or other form.
Applicants must be 21 years of age.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.