Open Until Filled
Job Code: 43-3031
Salary: $13.06 to 22.13 ($27,164.80 to $46,030.40)
Status: Full-time, permanent, non-exempt
SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Senior Accountant/Programs, the Program Accountant is responsible for the analysis, compilation and distribution of financial reporting requirements utilizing MIP Accounting System software and Microsoft Office applications. The Program Accountant assists Division Directors and Program Managers with budgets and operational revenue/expenditure forecasts. In addition to the guidelines of the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe policies and procedures, internal control standards and objectives by performing the following duties:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Maintains program General Ledgers for multiple programs in compliance with Federal OMB Circulars and programmatic requirements.
- Reads and follows Notice of Award, official letters and contract documentation guidelines.
- Processing and verification of Personnel Action Forms, Check Requests, Recurring Payments, Request for Contracts, Credit Card transactions, Travel Requests and Mileage Reimbursements in accordance with program funding requirements and funding allocations.
- Effectively communicates with Division Directors and Program Managers to share information and provide financial reports for operational tools.
- Provides cash management assistance to Division Directors and Program Managers in forecasting revenues and expenditures, providing encumbrance budget reports, encumbrance aged reports and preparing internal budget modifications when necessary upon approval from the funding agency.
- Liquidates outstanding purchase orders and contract encumbrances for programmatic expenses quarterly as needed.
- Prepare/review monthly Indirect and Revenue Recognition for programs.
- Prepare/review monthly drawdown reports and/or claim for payments required by funding agencies for submission to the Senior Accountant for Programs.
- Analyze and prepare monthly and periodic financial reports for departmental and funding requirements, including PMS Financial Status Report.
- Prepare financial reporting requirements for grant submission time extensions when applicable.
- Maintain fund sources by adhering to the new fund source and the grant closeout processes.
- Maintain program documentation and the filing requirements necessary per program.
- Prepare journal vouchers, contract encumbrances, and internal budget modifications with supporting documentation to the Senior Accountant for Programs.
- Approves budget availability of Electronic Requisition Purchasing system.
- Attend mandatory OMB Super Circular training as well as other program trainings and meetings.
- Compilation of information for annual audit and agency specific audit requests.
- Must maintain timelines and adhere to all deadlines.
- Promote the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe in a positive manner
- Other related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Due to the sensitive nature of information and financial data maintained within Finance, must maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Associate’s Degree from a College or University in Accounting or related field and at least 2 year’s related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Consideration will be given to an equivalent, relevant combination of education/experience in the Accounting. Knowledge regarding the OMB Super Circular and prior experience in Fund Accounting is an asset but not required.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Strong oral and written communication skills required. Must have excellent computer skills including word, excel, and experience with varying databases. Must be able to work in a fast paced environment and have the ability to meet deadlines in a tight timeframe. Abila MIP Fund Accounting training is an asset but not required. Computer testing in the applicable skills may be a requirement during the interview process.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to email@example.com or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 412 State Route 37, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.