Solid Waste Laborer/Driver
Job Closing: Jun 1, 2018
Division: Environment, Solid Waste
Job Code: 53-7801
Status: Full-time, permanent, non-exempt
SUMMARY: The position works for the SRMT Environment Division under the direct supervision of the Solid Waste Operation Supervisor. The employee in this position is responsible for the collection of refuse and recyclable materials from containers and customers into Solid Waste vehicles. Weekend and holiday work are required.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities include the following:
- Operate automated or semi-automated hosing devices that raise refuse bins and dump contents in to openings in truck beds
- Inspect trucks prior to beginning routes to ensure safe operation condition.
- Drive trucks following established routes, through residential streets.
- Operate all equipment that compresses collected refuse
- Dump refuse or recyclable materials at disposal sites.
- Inspect and sort recyclables at the Tribe’s transfer station. Place the sorted recyclables into storage areas.
- Communicate in a polite manner with customers, fellow co-workers, and contractors that the Tribe works with, and provide information as needed.
- Supervise the loading and unloading of the Tribe’s Transtor units, which are used to store solid waste prior to transporting to a disposal facility.
- Direct traffic flow at the transfer station ensuring the safety of the customers and workers.
- Visually screen incoming materials for unusual or prohibited wastes.
- Clean and inspect equipment on daily basis and inform the Supervisor of any required maintenance that may be required.
- Track daily events and keep logs pertaining to significant events including, but not limited to: maintenance; damage & accidents; waste screening; and discovered unacceptable wastes.
- Become familiar with the Tribe’s Transfer Station Operations Manual and follow policies and procedures outlined in the manual.
- Assist Solid Waste Program staff with other duties as necessary.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: There are no supervisor requirements for this position.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: The candidate for this position will have a High school diploma or GED, or one year related experience and/or training. Experience with operating machinery and computers is required. Knowledge of hazardous materials is a plus. CPR/First Aid certification is a plus. Valid driver’s license with clean driving record is a must.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Strong oral communication skills required. Must be able to lift 50 pounds, and work in a team environment.
Must be at least 18 years of age, have and maintain a valid driver’s license with a clean drivers abstract in accordance with the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Fleet Policy.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to email@example.com or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 412 State Route 37, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.