Solid Waste Laborers (4)
Job Closing: Jul 6, 2020
Division: Environment, Solid Waste
Job Code: 53-7081
Status: Full-time, temporary, non-exempt. Preference will be given for laid-off employees of the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe.
Summary: The Laborers work for the SRMT Environment Division under the direct supervision of the Solid Waste Operation Supervisor. The Laborers will perform manual labor consisting of collecting, sorting, and processing solid wastes and recyclables.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities include the following:
- Exhibit a friendly and courteous manner when dealing with customers, clients, vendors and fellow employees.
- Communicate in a polite manner and provide information as needed.
- Collect solid waste and recyclable materials placed roadside from the Southern portion of Akwesasne.
- Visually screen materials for unusual or prohibited wastes and collect solid waste and recyclable materials using the Tribe’s collection vehicles bring to the Tribe’s solid waste transfer station.
- Inspect, sort, and place into proper storage areas at the Tribe’s transfer station.
- Clean and inspect equipment on daily basis and inform the Supervisor of any maintenance that may be required.
- Track daily events and keep logs pertaining to significant events including, but not limited to: maintenance; damage & accidents; waste screening; and discovered unacceptable wastes.
- Follow policies and procedures of the Transfer Station Operations.
- Direct traffic flow at the transfer station ensuring the safety of the customers and workers.
- Assist Solid Waste Program staff with other duties as necessary.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: There are no supervisor requirements for this position.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: The candidate for this position will have a High school diploma or GED, or one year related experience and/or training. Experience with operating machinery and computers is required. Knowledge of hazardous materials is a plus. CPR/First Aid certification is a plus.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Strong oral communication skills required. Work in a team environment. Must be able to lift 50 pounds. Knowledge of hazardous materials is a plus.
Must be at least 18 years of age, have and maintain a valid driver’s license with a clean drivers abstract in accordance with the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Fleet Policy.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.