Summer Recreation Workers (17)
Job Closing: May 8, 2019
Division: Education, Youth Services
Job Code: 39-9032
Salary: $11.42 per hour
Status: Full-time, seasonal (summer), non-exempt
SUMMARY: Summer Recreation Workers will conduct educational and recreational activities with groups of children ages 6 to 11; organize and promote activities including educational activities, arts and crafts, games, sports, and cultural activities while taking into account the needs of the youth participant(s).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Establish and enforce camp rules and regulations in order to maintain and ensure safety.
- Explain principles, techniques and safety procedures to students in activities and demonstrate use of materials and recreational equipment.
- Attend and interact with youth participants at all times. Students are not to be left unattended at any time.
- Administer first aid according to prescribed procedures and notify emergency personnel when necessary.
- Remove rubbish and debris, ensuring cleanliness and safety of facilities and recreational areas.
- Report and document any illness/injury or rule violation of youth to Summer Youth Program Coordinator.
- Seek assistance or advice from Summer Program Supervisor as needed.
- Encourage creativity, personal development, social development, self-confidence, independence and compassion with other staff and camp participants.
- Exhibits dependability, patience, punctuality, teamwork, self-control, and enthusiasm.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: To supervise recreation campers and plan and implement daily activities for campers.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. The successful candidates will have strong educational leadership abilities and be knowledgeable of the unique needs of the Mohawk camp participants.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Minimum requirement is high school senior or enrolled for the fall semester in an institute of higher education in the fields of Education, Recreational Leadership and/or relevant educational field. Valid First Aid/CPR certification or the ability to attain certification upon hire.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Knowledge of trauma-informed care is an asset, able to work with large groups of students and staff member, able to work under pressure.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of daily situations.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to email@example.com or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 412 State Route 37, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.