Tourism Training Manager
Job Closing: Oct 5, 2022
Job Code: 13-1199 Status: Full - Time
Exempt: Non-Exempt Location: Akwesasne Business Center
Department: Economic Development Reports To: Akwesasne Travel Manager
Summary: Under the direction of the (Akwesasne Travel Manager), the Tourism Training Manager will work with the local businesses, entrepreneurs, the artisan community and cultural knowledge holders to develop Akwesasne Travel tourism experiences and aid in tourism capacity building. The Tourism Training Manager will directly oversee the tour development training curriculum; program recruitment efforts, administration of training, conduct evaluation, tour testing and assist with familiarization tours.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Develop tourism training lifecycle; recruitment to market activities, for program efficiency.
- Develop and maintain a relationship with members of the Akwesasne community to continue to strengthen the trust and recruitment for Akwesasne Travel.
- Oversee Akwesasne Travel tour development training curriculum and continue to update and improve the program.
- Provide continual support to new and existing tour partners by sharing & recommending business support and professional development opportunities.
- Develop, administer and manage Akwesasne Travel – Tour Guide training.
- Maintain training program data; applications, inquiries, tourism business support needs, graduation rate, bookings, etc.
- Work closely with the Travel Trade Specialist in the coordination of tour testing, familiarization tours, and the development and marketing of new tour experiences.
- Work with the Travel Trade Specialist to assist new and existing partners with individual marketing support, tour marketing, best practices, and other relevant duties.
- Work closely with the Marketing Specialist to provide marketing support services by identifying individual business marketing needs.
- Work closely with existing Akwesasne Travel tours to evaluate performance, measure quality assurance and seek ways to improve existing tours.
- Pursue opportunities to promote tourism development; speaking and presenting engagements on local, regional and national platforms/events.
- Source and manage contracts with local service providers to assist in business support for new and existing partners.
- Participate in professional development and tourism capacity building training and certification programs for one’s self and training cohorts.
- Work closely with the Travel Office Coordinator to coordinate schedules between Akwesasne Travel team, tour suppliers/partners and visitors/clients as necessary.
- Schedule community engagement activities; CKON radio shows, Indian Time Newspaper, occasionally posting on Akwesasne Travel social media pages, coordinating in-person events, etc.
- Provide aid in other areas of tourism activities and initiatives.
- Provides excellent communication skills, written and oral.
- Serve as a representative of Akwesasne Travel, and supports Akwesasne tourism initiatives.
- Willing to travel for trainings, conferences, presentations and trade shows.
- Manage expenditures, budgets, revenue etc. that directly relate to assigned projects.
- Follow Akwesasne Travel and SRMT policy and procedures.
- Share relevant information obtained and work closely with colleagues including Office of Economic Development (OED) that can assist with their assigned duties and for the betterment of Akwesasne businesses.
- Assist in the preparation and management of contracts and work with consultants as assigned;
- Perform basic cross-functional duties when needed in order to maintain operational efficiency of the tourism team.
- Facilitate guided tours on occasion.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position holds no supervisory responsibility.
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Due to the sensitive nature of information and personnel files maintained within Human Resources, must maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
Education and/or Experience: Associates degree (A.S.) from two - year College or University
in Business Administration, Tourism & Hospitality, related field and 3-5 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Professional certification in Hospitality, Tourism & Service Industry is an asset.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work well as a team member. Akwesasne Travel is a collaborative, team-based environment with many tasks and short-timelines.
- Strong oral and written communication skills required.
- Excellent computer/presentation skills i.e. Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access PowerPoint).
- Excellent, research, organizational, planning, implementation and facilitation skills.
- Excellent project/time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills.
- Excellent decision making, budgeting, negotiation skills.
- Able to work under pressure, stress, aggressive timelines, unexpected deadlines and in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to maintain a heavy workload and work flexible/extended hours, including occasional weekends.
- Ability to multitask.
- Must be able to meet the public as a representative of the Tribe, maintaining high ethical, honest and moral standards.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Must be at least 18 years of age, have and maintain a valid driver’s license with a clean driver abstract in accordance with the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Fleet Policy.
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor.
The successful candidate must pass a test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.