Family Advocate Program Provides Rent and Utility Subsidy
Jul 28, 2020
AKWESASNE — The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Office of the Family and Victim Advocate announced it has been awarded as a sub-recipient of the Indian Housing Block Grant through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act). The block grant will assist community members with a rent and utility subsidy, as well as assistance with groceries or household cleaning products. The financial assistance is only for the months of August, September and October.
To qualify you must meet the following criteria:
- Restricted Service Area. Program participants must reside within the boundaries of the Tribe’s designated service area (15-mile radius in the United States);
- Enrolled Tribal Member. A household member must be an enrolled member of the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe; and
- MUST NOT be participating in any rental assistance or subsidy program at this time (such as Tenant Assistance Program, Section 8, subsidized housing, or Akwesasne Housing Authority Housing Program).
The rent or mortgage and utility assistance is limited to the first 60 applicants. If approved, each eligible applicant will receive a $325.00 rent or mortgage payment and a $65.00 utility payment (Massena Electric or National Grid customers ONLY). The financial payment will be sent directly to your vendor for the months of August, September and October ONLY.
Emergency food, hygiene and PPE assistance is also available.
For more information or to schedule an appointment to complete an intake, please contact the Office of the Family and Victim Advocate at (518) 358-3021. You may also contact the following advocates directly at:
- Kerry Jacobs, Victim Advocate – (518) 651-9150
- Crystal Stehlin, Junior Advocate – (518) 651-1435
- Everett Lazore, Family Advocate – (518) 333-8450