Job Closing: Feb 22, 2019
Division: Office for the Aging
Job Code: 39-9032
Salary Range: $24,585.60 to 32,510.40 ($11.82 to 15.63)
Status: Full-time, permanent, non-exempt
SUMMARY: Reporting to the Activity Coordinator, the Activities Assistant assists with activities designed to meet the needs and interests of older adults, especially those with mobility and memory issues. Provides assistance on trips, assists seniors with daily meals, and assists center staff with recreational, health, and educational events. Assist with monthly calendar and sending out the monthly newsletter. Promote and advertise for senior center activities and events. Work well with other agencies for scheduling and planning. Organize and store senior center holiday supplies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Advocate for seniors: Bring attention to the OFA problems, needs, or concerns seniors attending the center may have, problem solve, and promote OFA programs and services
- Escort seniors with mobility or memory issues on day trips
- Work one-on-one and in small groups on craft, recreational, health promotion and education projects
- Provide completed documentation to Activities Coordinator for reporting, including event registration sheets, and incident reports
- Collaborate with Activities Coordinator to plan and organize events, projects, and trips. I.e. supply lists, registrations, itineraries, scheduling, etc.
- Attends all orientation, training, in-service, and staff meetings
- Assist with recruitment and training of volunteers for recreation program
- Will need to be able to lift and climb for storage and decorating
- Organize supplies, shop and be responsible for inventory control
- Proofread skills for the monthly newsletter
- Submit articles for the monthly newsletter
- Deliver newsletter throughout community
- Collaborate with other agencies
- Research/explore other facility activities in newsletters and newspapers
- Drive to/from scheduled activities, shows, and events
- Must be able to work independently and without supervision
- Organize and pickup Green Food Bag orders
- Assists with other duties as assigned
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: There are no supervisor requirements for this position,
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Due to the sensitive nature of information and personnel files maintained within Human Resources, must maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Must have experience working with older adults. Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Mohawk language considered an asset. Must be able flexible and comfortable with groups and working in a team setting. Present a positive, caring, and respectful attitude toward the elderly population. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends. Must be able to lift objects up to 25 pounds. Knowledge in grammar, punctuation, and proofreading is considered an asset. First Aid and CPR certification an asset.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Must be at least 18 years of age, have and maintain a valid driver’s license with a clean drivers abstract in accordance with the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Fleet Policy.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to email@example.com or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 412 State Route 37, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.