Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors (2)
Job Closing: Feb 23, 2018
Division: Community and Family Services, Tribal Vocational Rehabilitation (TVR)
Job Code: 21-1015
Status: Full-time, permanent, non-exempt
SUMMARY: Under the direction of the TVR Program Manager, the Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor is responsible for conducting intakes, determining eligibility, and assisting the consumers with disabilities in their Individualized Plan for Employment (IPE) and pursuing of their individual goals. The Counselor meets with the Program Manager once a week for case conference, and attends scheduled staff meetings. The Counselor is to complete all required paperwork and computer data entry on his/her respective consumers that he/she works with. The counselor should have knowledge of various disabilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Responsible for working with consumers throughout entire VR process including: intake, eligibility determination, Individualized Plan for Employment (IPE) development, and assisting with follow through of all activities and goals.
- Responsible for providing the highest quality of guidance and counselling to all consumers on caseload
- Knowledge of various disabilities
- Knowledge of acts, laws, regulations and policies as it applies to vocational rehabilitation and people with disabilities
- Able to demonstrate sound ethics and practices in every aspect of position
- Able to write detailed and concise IPEs, case notes and reports as necessary
- Works with outside agencies and programs as they pertain to vocational rehabilitation and employment opportunities
- Works with appropriate school staff and students with disabilities to assist with transition phase from high school to work/college
- Maintain regular contact with all consumers through appointments booked at least monthly
- Able to effectively manage time in order to accommodate entire caseload
- Responsible for liaising with area businesses on job leads in order to provide employment opportunities to qualified consumers
- Responsible for working with consumers throughout specific parts of the VR process including: resume building, interviewing skill/techniques, time management and financial literacy
- Participate in case conferencing with TVR Staff
- Submits financial requests to Program Manager on behalf of consumers directly in line with vocational rehabilitation
- Provide in-services training to outside agencies and programs to provide a comprehensive overview of TVR and the vocational rehabilitation process
- Attend area events such as: Disabilities Awareness Day, to provide information to the public about TVR services.
- Maintain accurate and up to date consumer case files, both hard files and in applicable software
- Refers consumers to other programs and agencies as deemed necessary in striving for successful outcomes
- Maintain strict adherence to confidentiality policy at all times
- Able to work in a team environment
- Any/all other duties pertaining to the TVR Counselor position
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: There are no supervisory responsibilities for the Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Knowledge of the vocational rehabilitation and area employment assistance programs is an asset. Should have ability to act as an advocate on behalf of the consumers. Knowledge of disabilities is an asset. Must be able to work effectively in a team setting.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Associates Degree in the field of Human or Social Services or related field with working knowledge of various disabilities.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Strong oral and written communication skills required. Must have excellent computer skills including; Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and experience with varying databases.
Must be at least 18 years of age, have and maintain a valid driver’s license with a clean drivers abstract in accordance with the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Fleet Policy.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Status Card or letter) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 412 State Route 37, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.