Tribal Council Issues Protocols for Businesses and Community Members
Mar 18, 2020
AKWESASNE –In response to the Joint State of Emergency Declaration issued on Enniskó:wa/March 16, 2020 and the World Health Organization’s declaration of the COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus) pandemic as a Public Health Emergency; the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribal Council, in coordination with tribal health officials, has issued further precautions to protect the overall health of the Akwesasne community.
On Enniskó:wa/March 18, 2020; the Tribal Council signed TCR #2020-19 that provides protocols for businesses and community members to follow that helps safeguard the health, safety and well-being of Akwesasne at-large. In doing so, the Tribal Council extends is appreciation for the difficult decision that local businesses have made to voluntarily close or whom have made an adjustment in accordance with the following:
- Advise community members to call places of business, such as the Tribe, ahead of traveling to ensure proper planning for services, and to lessen unnecessary traversing within the community; and
- Strongly advise community members to refrain from organizing or attending gatherings of twenty-five (25) people or more, effective immediately and until further notice; and
- Urge organizers to postpone or cancel large gatherings and events (concert, conference, worship service, performance before a large audience, etc.) if anticipated attendance in in excess of twenty-five (25) people, until further notice; and
- Order the close of any facility or space with occupancy of twenty-five (25) people or more that is not providing essential services on the Reservation, such as public fitness and entertainment facilities, effective Enniskó:wa/March 18, 2020, at 8:00 p.m. until further notice; and
- Order all restaurants to close dine-in spaces—restaurants may offer delivery or curbside pick-up, effective Enniskó:wa/March 18, 2020, at 8:00 p.m. until further notice; and
- Suspend all On-Premise Alcohol licenses (Bars), effective Enniskó:wa/March 18, 2020, at 8:00 p.m. until further notice; and
- Suspend all On-Premise Alcohol Licensed Restaurants from serving any alcoholic beverage to include beer and to close, effective Enniskó:wa/March 18, 2020, at 8:00 p.m. until further notice; and
- Limit all Off-Premise Retail Alcohol sales to 12:00 noon to 8:00 p.m., effective Enniskó:wa/March 18, 2020, at 8:00 p.m. until further notice; and
- Order wholesalers to discontinue the sale or distribution of wholesale alcohol to all SRMT licensed On-Premise Alcohol licensed establishments, effective Enniskó:wa/March 18, 2020, at 8:00 p.m. until further notice.
The Tribal Council realizes the significant impact these protocols may have—but the objective remains to proceed with an overabundance of caution and do everything possible to keep our families and community safe from the COVID-19 pandemic. Please visit our website and social media for up to date information on COVID-19 prevention and guidance from public health officials.
# # # # #
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribal Council is the duly elected and federally recognized government of the Saint Regis Mohawk People.