Court Clerk (2)
Job Closing: Nov 26, 2018
Division: Tribal Courts
Job Code: 43-4031
Salary Range: $25,854.40 to $45,136.00
Status: Full-time, permanent, non-exempt
SUMMARY: The Court Clerk is responsible for providing clerical and administrative support in the daily operations of the Tribal Courts system and to ensure all needed information is available for effective functioning of all Courts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Processing and control of all related paperwork relative to the Tribal Court system including creating dockets, processing mail-ins and generating fine notices for outgoing mail
- Attend traffic court sessions weekly and record all sessions
- Enter all traffic tickets into court software
- Maintain accurate Traffic Court case files
- Accept and record payments for both all case files and maintain records of Traffic Court judgements
- Work with Traffic Court Judges to properly enforce Traffic Court judgements
- Maintaining statistics log of all court cases and maintaining up to date knowledge of court management software
- Meet and respond to all requests of the Traffic Court Judge
- Communicate case schedule to court judges and attorneys
- Coordinating calendar, travel, and meeting arrangements when needed for the Tribal Court system, Tribal Judges, and Court Administrator
- Accepting and processing incoming bills for receiving reports
- Processing court purchase orders
- Maintains office supply inventory and orders accordingly to ensue all paperwork processing can be completed
- Professionally representing the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribal Court and Tribal Court system while interacting with the community.
- Assist all Judges in any legal research, and when called upon, any drafting of documents for signature by the Judge(s)
- Other related duties as assigned
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: There are no supervisor requirements for this position,
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual have excellent communication skills, as this individual will be communicating with community members on a regular basis. Must be proficient in office management techniques and be able to understand existing court management software. Must be able to multitask and maintain open lines of
communication to ensure effective cooperation among the Tribal Court system employees. Ability to schedule and maintain Tribal Court calendar and training calendar for all court staff ensuring all staff is aware of upcoming events.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Associates degree or post-secondary diploma preferred. Consideration will be given to an equivalent, relevant combination of education/experience.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Must have excellent computer skills including word, excel, and experience with varying databases.
- Needs excellent recordkeeping and clerical skills. Able to account for all court fines/ fees and promptly turn over all money and accounting to Tribal Accounting offices.
- Ability to establish priorities and ensure all tasks accomplished in a timely and accurate manner.
- Need computer skills and ability to utilize office/court software applications.
- Need the ability to adjust staff assignments to meet administrative objectives.
- Have the ability to communicate with other departments and agencies on court procedures to coordinate court services.
- Have the ability to evaluate processes and procedures and makes recommendations for streamlining operations and creating uniformity between the courts e.g. Drug Court, Traffic Court, Civil Court, etc.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to email@example.com or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 412 State Route 37, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.