Human Resources Assistant
Job Closing: Aug 3, 2018
Division: Human Resources
Job Code: 43-4161
Salary Range: $31,865.60 to $47,424.00
Status: Full-time, permanent, non-exempt
SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Human Resources Director, the Human Resources Assistant is responsible for the day to day office support by performing general office duties:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Exhibit a friendly and courteous manner when dealing with our employees and fellow associates.
- Process, verify, and maintain personnel related documentation, including staffing, recruitment, training, grievances, performance evaluations, classifications, and employee leaves of absence.
- Answer telephones and give information to callers, take messages, or transfer calls to appropriate individuals.
- Maintain, and enter information into various databases.
- Establish, track and manage supplies and supply inventory as needed.
- Manage paper or electronic filing systems, recording information, updating paperwork, or maintaining documents, such as attendance records, correspondence, or other material.
- Greet visitors or callers and handle their inquiries or direct them to the appropriate persons according to their needs.
- Maintain scheduling and event calendars.
- Receive, review for accuracy and route all Personal Action Forms (PAF) to the Human Resource Director.
- Schedule and confirm appointments for all employees, applicants or visitors.
- Track, manage and monitor all credit card purchases, create credit card vouchers and route for approval.
- Make payments to vendors via the Credit Card for all Job Postings, Background Checks and Pre-Employment Drug Testing.
- Enter data, track reports, manage and monitor the Mass Communication system for the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe.
- Enter applicant information into ADP for criminal background check screening; notify supervisors upon receipt of results.
- Conduct applicant Criminal Background Checks through the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) fingerprint system.
- Conduct Pre-Employment Drug Screening as required.
- Make copies of correspondence or other printed material.
- Open, read, route, and distribute incoming mail, email and faxes.
- Make travel arrangements as requested.
- Assist with bi-weekly payroll processes of compiling timesheets from automated time clock system, assist with the payroll input process into automated Payroll system;
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Explain company personnel policies, benefits, and procedures to employees or job applicants.
- Record data for each employee, including such information as addresses, weekly earnings, absences, supervisory reports on performance, and dates of and reasons for terminations.
- Gather personnel records from other departments or employees.
- Examine employee files to answer inquiries and provide information for personnel actions.
- Compile and prepare reports and documents pertaining to personnel activities.
- Request information from law enforcement officials, previous employers, and other references to determine applicants' employment acceptability.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: There are no supervisor requirements for this position.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Due to the sensitive nature of information and personnel files maintained within Human Resources, must maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Associates degree (A. A.) from two-year College or University
in Human Resources, Public Administration, Employment Law, Accounting or related field and 2 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Consideration will be given to an equivalent, relevant combination of education/experience in the Human Resource or benefits field. Senior Professional in Human Resource (SPHR) and/or Tribal Human Resource Professional certification is an asset. Upon hire, must work toward and obtain both, or equivalent certifications.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Strong oral and written communication skills required. Must have excellent computer skills including word, excel, and experience with varying databases. ADP training is an asset but not required. Computer testing in the applicable skills may be a requirement during the interview process.
REASONING ABILITY: The ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience so others will understand. Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times. Assistant must be able to manage one's own time and the time of other Human Resource staff.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to email@example.com or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 412 State Route 37, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.