Tribe’s Compliance Department to Inspect ‘Mask Directive’
Jun 1, 2020
AKWESASNE – Subsequent to the “Mask Directive” issued by the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Emergency Operations Center on Onerahtókha/April 22, 2020, the Tribal Council has taken further action to protect and prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the community of Akwesasne. On Onerahtoko:wa/May 29, 2020, the Tribal Council signed Tribal Council Resolution (TCR) 2020-35 authorizing the Compliance Department to inspect local stores and retail businesses where social distancing cannot be maintained to ensure masks are being worn, specifically the TCR:
1. Authorizes the Compliance Department to inspect all businesses, to include but not limited to, retailers of tobacco, alcohol, and/or petroleum and food service, on the Saint Regis Mohawk Reservation to ensure adherence to the mask directive; and
2. Requires all businesses, to include but not limited to, retailers of alcohol, tobacco and/or petroleum, and food service to ensure that all of its employees to include delivery drivers and gas attendants as well as any vendors delivering goods are wearing a face mask while working or delivering goods; and
3. Requires each business, to include but not limited to, retailers of alcohol, tobacco, and/or petroleum, to ensure its customers are wearing face masks when entering its business; and
4. Requires each business, to include but not limited to, retailers of alcohol, tobacco, and/or petroleum to post signs to remind everyone, “No mask, No service”; and
5. The Compliance Department has the authority to inspect any business, to include but no limited to, retailer of alcohol, tobacco, and/or petroleum and restaurant to ensure adherence to the mask directive and signage requirement;
6. Failure to adhere to these requirements may result in a fine of up to two hundred and fifty dollars ($250.00) for a first offense, a fine of up to five hundred dollars ($500.00) for a second offense, and a possible closure order for a third offense along with a fine of up to one thousand dollars ($1,000.00); and
7. Once a fine is imposed the business will have ten (10) business days to remit payment to the Tribe; and
8. This Resolution is effective upon signing and shall continue after 2020-17 has been lifted for a period of one (1) year when it shall be reevaluated or sooner if health officials no longer recommend wearing face masks.
The full version of TCR 2020-35, “Authorize the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe Compliance Department to Inspect Tribal Businesses Regarding Public Health Directives Under the State of Emergency (TCR 2020-17),” is viewable on the Tribal Members Portal located at www.srmt.nsn.gov.
# # # # #
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribal Council is the duly elected and federally recognized government of the Saint Regis Mohawk People.