447 Frogtown Road, Suite 201, Akwesasne
Weekdays, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Mission: The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe Office of Economic Development (OED) is committed to promoting economic self-sufficiency through the provision of training, technical assistance and financing designed to support the development of new and expanded businesses, which shall support a strengthened and diversified economy, while creating new employment opportunities.
- The Office of Economic Development (OED) is responsible for developing a comprehensive economic development plan, programs and projects for the use of the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe and Mohawk businesses, including Tribal land and physical facilities. The OED ensures that the goals and objectives of the Tribe are accomplished within prescribed time frames and funding parameters.
- The OED will continue to work towards establishing a vibrant business community and promoting a diversified local economy through entrepreneurship and businesses development.
- The OED will continue to work with various departments in land use planning, cultural tourism and towards the goal of establishing our own tribal public utilities agency. The OED conducted a Comprehensive Community Development Plan (survey) and will work with tribal programs departments to integrate the community’s response into an action plan for implementation by SRMT programs and departments.
- The OED will be responsive to the needs of the tribe and the business community. The OED will continue to develop partnerships with agencies which provide training, technical support and financing and explore new business, economic and employment opportunities for our community.
SRMT Office of Technology, Research and Patents (“OTRAP”)
Akwesasne Revolving Loan Fund
- The ARLF was established to help support the Akwesasne business community create a diversified economy and generate new employment opportunities.
- New and existing businesses may apply to the ARLF. The business must be 51% Native owned by a registered member of the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe (over the age of 18) and must be located on the Southern Portion of Akwesasne (U.S. side). Existing businesses must have fewer than 50 employees and annual gross revenues of less than one million ($1,000,000) to qualify. The loan can be used to acquire real property, construction and rehabilitation; equipment and other machinery purchases, inventory and working capital. All proposed projects must be in compliance with Tribal codes and zoning. This loan fund supports requests from $1,000 up to $10,000. Larger amounts may be subject to additional documentation, credit and collateral requirements.
- Download the application forms: Client Application Form Loan Application Form (pdf). Completed forms can be dropped off or mailed to: Office Of Economic Development, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, Attn: OED ARLF, 412 State Route 37, Akwesasne, NY 13655.
Akwesasne Employment Resource Center (AERC)
The AERC was created as a joint venture project in April 2009. Created as a 'one-stop shop' for job seekers, we continue to service individuals with finding employment.
- The Akwesasne Area Management Board and the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe are two major contributers who continue to support the ongoing operation of the AERC. They received support from the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne and the Mohawk Nation Council of Chiefs to create a central resource center that would service the community in assisting in their job search.
- Go to the AERC website
Cultural Tourism Strategy
- Sharing the Spirit - An Akwesasne Cultural Tourism Strategy
- Akwesasne_Cultural_Tourism_Strategic_Plan (pdf)
- The Akwesasne Tourism Strategic Action Plan is available for Community members at the Office for Economic Development by calling 518-358-2835
- One of the goals of the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Broadband Initiative is to provide Akwesasne the tools to succeed in today’s digital world. By providing available, public access to Broadband services through five public computer centers on the Akwesasne territory we plan to bring digital literacy to our community.
Small Business Consultant Services
- Michelle Collins from the SUNY Canton SBDC meets with community members who are in need of any type of assistance with small business development. Meetings are held in the Community Buiding, upstairs boardroom. To make an appointment with Michelle, please contact OED at 518-358-2835.
Akwesasne Business Directory
- The Akwesasne Business Directory is a guide to businesses and services located in and near the territory of Akwesasne or owned by Akwesashró:non. The directory is a joint effort between the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe and the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne. It is published annually in the early spring. To view the current listings, update your business information or add a new business go to: www.AkwesasneBusinessDirectory.com.
Training and Events
Sign up to receive training and events related to the SRMT Office of Economic Development: http://eepurl.com/bDXiB9.