What is a hazardous waste?
Hazardous waste is a waste with properties that make it dangerous or capable of having a harmful effect on human health or the environment. Hazardous waste is generated from many sources, ranging from industrial manufacturing process wastes to batteries and may come in many forms, including liquids, solids gases, and sludges.
How does hazardous waste impact the community?
Improperly managed hazardous waste, including household hazardous waste, poses a serious threat to human health and the environment if improperly managed.
What is the Solid Waste Program doing about hazardous waste?
The Solid Waste program is collecting information from local businesses and through a special waste study to determine the types and quantities of hazardous waste entering the waste stream. This information will be used to help design management strategies that match community needs.
The Solid Waste Program is also developing networks with various organizations and agencies to gather information that will useful for building strong partnerships as the program moves forward. Providing technical assistance to other tribes is vital for a broader understanding of hazardous waste management challenges and solutions.
The Solid Waste Program has developed resources to help the community better understand hazardous waste and how to manage it. This webpage has a number of resources available at the click of a mouse button that will provide information on places to dispose of different types of hazardous waste, information on studies of hazardous waste, short video clips that demonstrate key ideas regarding hazardous waste and links to resources to help individuals, business owners and other Tribal nations to increase their understanding hazardous waste management.
HAZARDOUS WASTE VIDEOS
This May Also Interest You
- SRMT Auto Repair Checklist
- Alternative Products List for Natural Replacements to Hazardous Waste
- Household Hazardous Waste Resource Guide
- Auto Shop Aerosol Cans
- Auto Shop Antifreeze
- Minimizing Auto Shop Waste Generation
- Auto Shop Solvents and Aqueous Parts Cleaning
- Household Hazardous Waste Brochure
- Hazardous Waste Training Curriculum
- Standard Procedures for Tribal Hazardous Waste Characterization
- E-Cigarettes: How to Dispose
- Alternative Product List
- Propane Tanks & Other Cylinders
- Eco Friendly Engine Oil Article
- Aerosol Cans Recycling Program