Tribal Historic Preservation Office
Onkwehón:we Tsinikiawén:’en Tsi ionteweien’tóhkhwa | Tribal Historic Preservation Office
Mission: To preserve and promote the historic and cultural heritage of Akwesasró:non for the next seven generations.
Ionkwakiohkwaró:ron | Tribal Administration Building
71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne NY 13655
Onkwehόn:we Tsinikiawen:’en Tsiionteweien’tohkhwa -- Tribal Historic Preservation Office was established by the St. Regis Mohawk Tribe under the authority of the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) and the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA).
The Tribal Historical Preservation Office is responsible for:
- The identification, evaluation, protection, interpretation and historic preservation planning of the cultural heritage of Akwesasró:non.
- Documenting items of cultural patrimony currently in the possession of museums, historical societies, and universities, or which might be excavated or discovered on federal and some private lands receiving federal monies.
- Offering cultural sensitivity training and consultancy services to employees, community programs, outside agencies, media, and the education system.
- Supports the work of the St. Regis Mohawk Tribe’s cultural tourism initiative, local cultural centers, youth groups, and language programs.
- Developing public history projects that enhance understanding and encourage future research.
- Administrating the Community Language Classes that are offered at various times throughout the week for different levels of language proficiency.
- Developing a research library for the use of tribal staff. We have over 100 books, some of which were donated by Akwesasró:non. Onkwehόn:we Tsinikiawen:’en Tsiionteweien’tohkhwa Tribal Historic Preservation Office is located on the first floor of Ionkwakiohkwarό:ron Tribal Administration Building, room 122, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne.
Language and Cultural Resource Department
The SRMT Mohawk Language Lab is responsible for protecting, preserving and maintaining our Kanien’keha language within the Tribal workplace and the greater community. Instruction is given by hands-on instruction by staff fluent in Kanien’keha. Look for the SRMT Mohawk Language Lab on Facebook.
Section 106 Consultations (National Historic Preservation Act of 1966)
For submissions for consultation concerning the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, please submit to Tribal Historic Preservation Office Director Darren Bonaparte at firstname.lastname@example.org.