Provides assistance, care, and support to individuals with Developmental Disabilities encouraging self-determination, independence where possible, quality of life, and participation as vital and contributing members of the Akwesasne Mohawk Territory.
420 State Route 37, Akwesasne
Weekdays, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Doug Hamilton, Program Manager
Phone: (518) 358-9481
Fax: (518) 358-9466
Family Support Services, a program serving individuals with developmental disabilities, can help in times of crisis when a family member or loved one becomes ill, or when things get difficult at home for other reasons. Family Support Services can provide families with:
- Someone to call for support
- Information about OMRDD (Office of Mental Retardation and other Developmental Disabilities) programs and services
- Someone to explain the benefits the individual with developmental disabilities is entitled to
- Help arranging health care, education and recreational opportunities
- Referrals for counseling and training to enhance family stability and to help families plan for the future
- Transportation, special equipment or necessary home modifications
- Help caring for a family member with a developmental disability
- Family reimbursement for purchases of disability-related goods and services
- Support groups
Respite services provide temporary relief from the demands of care giving, which helps reduce overall family stress. This often enables families to better meet the needs of their loved one with a developmental disability. Respite can be provided in the home or out of the home, during the day, evenings or overnight. Respite services provide relief to individuals who are responsible for the primary care and support of an individual with a developmental disability. When a family member has to deal with such things as illness, emergency and vacation, respite services can ensure that the individual’s needs are met.