Assistant Chief Financial Officer
Job Closing: Oct 26, 2022
Job Code: 11-1011 Salary Level: Negotiable
Exempt: Yes Location: Tribal Administration Building
Department: Finance Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Chief Financial Officer, is responsible for the fiscal and administrative operation of the Finance Office. The Assistant Chief Financial Officer shall be responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of component units within the Finance Office in consultation with the Chief Financial Officer. The incumbent coordinates office activities with outside agencies and SRMT senior management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Prepare and review internal monthly government financial statements with Controller and analyze variances.
- Working with Investment Committee as an advisor to identify and select portfolio manager for tribal government investments, monitor performance and manage portfolio asset allocation of investments
- Assist with the development of the annual operating budget for the Tribal Government; review and consolidate budgetary recommendations submitted by division directors; ensure compliance with SRMT Tribal Procedures Act; monitor and verify major expenditures and investigate significant variances to the budget
- Provides monthly financial reports for the Health Plan, 401K and other committees as requested by Chief Financial Officer
- Establish and maintain external contractual relationships for banking and other professional service providers
- Prepares SRMT Financial Statements and Management Discussion & Analysis (MD & A) for the annual external audit, in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Maintain internal financial controls and reporting in compliance with SRMT Finance Policy, applicable Federal OMB guidelines, and external Agency funding regulations
- Assist with the preparation of, and review major financial reports and analyses reflecting progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations or conclusion. Ensure compliance with financial reporting in the SRMT Finance Policy
- Consolidated Fiscal Report (CFR)
- Indirect Cost Proposal (ICP)
- Single Audit Report (Schedule of Expenditures of Federal Awards)
- Ambulatory Health Consolidated Fiscal Report (AHCF)
- Medicare and Medicaid Cost Report
- Assist with monitoring SRMT investment policy and recommend changes as necessary
- Coordinate and monitor the annual financial statement audit and single audit
- Implements changes to improve finance/accounting functions and productivity
- Reviews governmental reports for accuracy before submission and ensures timely response to inquiries from funding agencies
- Oversight of fixed assets physical control and accounting
- Responsible for maintaining the Tribe’s fiscal records, accounting systems and finance office activities
- Ensure prudent management of SRMT cash flow and provide required reports as requested by Chief Financial Officer
- Exhibit a professional and courteous manner in dealing with community and colleagues
- Provide active leadership and support to Finance Team
- Preform other related duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBLITIES: Supervises subordinate employees currently including Controller, two Budget Analysts, Procurement Manager, and Capital Asset Manager. The Assistant Chief Financial Officer shall be responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of component units within the SRMT Finance Office in consultation with the Chief Financial Officer.
The Assistant Chief Financial Officer shall carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and procedures. Assistant Chief Financial Officer’s responsibilities may include, but not limited to; oversight of interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems within the Department.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Due to the sensitive nature of information candidate must maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year College or University in Accounting or related field and six years related experience and/or training; OR equivalent combination of education and experience (10 Years). Three years supervisory experience is required.
Prefer knowledge of the Federal OMB guidelines, GASB and GAAP accounting standards. Prior experience in Fund Accounting is preferred. Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is preferred.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: In order to be successful in this position, the applicant/employee must have considerable experience in a progressively responsible fiscal management capacity as demonstrated on the resume. The individual must also possess strong oral/written communication, leadership and conflict resolution skills required. Ability to lead with energy, integrity, authority and decisiveness. Must have excellent computer skills including word, excel, access and experience with varying databases. Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and have the ability to meet deadlines.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
The successful candidate must pass a test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.