CALLOUT: Judicial Oversight Commissioner
Job Closing: Mar 29, 2023
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe is seeking an individual to serve as Commissioner for the Judicial Oversight Commission (JOC). The JOC is empowered to enforce the obligations of judges to observe high standards of conduct while safeguarding their right to decide cases independently. The JOC also will provide a forum for Tribal members with conduct-related complaints regarding a judge and discipline those judges who transgress the judicial code of ethics (2014-02).
Judicial Oversight Commissioners are appointed by Tribal Council and this appointment will be for a three (3)-year term. A Judicial Oversight Commissioner shall perform all tasks required by the Judicial Oversight Commission Ordinance (2011-44).
- Be at least 35 years of age;
- Not be a member of the Tribal Court Staff;
- Be of good moral character;
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in the related field
- Demonstrate knowledge of Tribal law and Indian issues.
- In addition to the above requirements at least one member of the Commission shall be an attorney in good standing, who is licensed and admitted to practice law in any state, with at least ten years’ experience practicing law.
If you have any questions or would like to request a copy of the Judicial Oversight Commission Ordinance, please contact the office of Boards and Commissioners at firstname.lastname@example.org or 518-358-2272.
All qualified candidates must submit a letter of interest and current resume to Cathy Mitchell, Executive Assistant/Board Liaison, at email@example.com or in person/by mail to:
Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe
Attention: Cathy Mitchell
71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way
Akwesasne, NY 13655