Direct Support Professional
Open Until Filled
Job Code: 39-9021
Salary: $25,335.40-$32,117.60 ($12.18-$15.47)
Status: Full time, Part Time, Per diem
Location: Family Support Building
Department: Family Support Program
Reports To: Waiver/Res Supervisor
SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Waiver/Residence Supervisor, the Direct Support Professional is responsible to assist adults and children with developmental disabilities complete activities of daily living at the person’s home or in a daytime non-residential facility. Duties performed at a place of residence may include teaching and assisting consumers with housekeeping skills (making beds, laundry, dishwashing), meal planning and preparation. Supervise activities at Day Program facilities or in the community. Assist professionals from a wide variety of fields, such as psychology, rehabilitation, or social work, and to provide consumer services as well as support for families. May assist consumers in identifying and obtaining benefits and social and community services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- At all times, serve as an advocate for the consumer with whom you work.
- At all times, serves as an active and integral member of a multi-disciplinary team with a complete focus to meet program needs and enhance the quality of services provided to the individuals we serve.
- Provide direct care and assistance to consumers with developmental disabilities and their families. Work hours may include weekdays, evenings and weekends as designated by the needs of the consumer, and as established by program schedule.
- Effectively utilize written and oral communication to ensure the completion of all documentation and forms including progress notes, nursing notes, habilitation checklists, and communication logs. Work cooperatively with consumer, family members, supervisor and Care Managers to constructively resolve matters that may arise.
- Assist supervisor and Care Managers with the development and implementation of consumer’s Life Plan Meetings. Participate in consumer’s Life Plan meetings as required.
- Report accidents, incidents or program concerns in a timely manner to supervisor and others as appropriate. Complete incident reports.
- Complete and maintain 40 hour AMAP certification if requested or required by supervisor.
- Perform health care tasks such as monitoring vital signs and medication, under the direction of registered nurses.
- Assist consumers with personal care, such as ambulation and personal hygiene.
- Teach and assist consumer with housekeeping duties such as cooking, cleaning, washing clothes and dishes and running errands.
- Assist consumers and families in planning, budgeting, shopping and preparing nutritious meals. Advise consumers regarding food stamps and money management.
- Transport consumers to medical, legal, recreational or other appointments as needed
- Provide consumers with communication assistance, by assisting in completing applications, mailing correspondence, obtaining information for them, or teaching alternative means of communication.
- Provide information and refer individuals to Care Managers for medical, financial, legal, educational or other assistance.
- Oversee day-to-day group activities of residents in Residential Habilitation, Day Habilitation, or Respite Programs.
- Assist with other duties necessary within the programs such as dishwashing, van cleaning, cooking, shopping, collecting receipts and participating in gatherings and parties.
- Other related duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: There are no supervisor requirements for this position.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: High School Diploma or GED. Experience and training in developmental disabilities or a related field is desirable but not mandatory. Employee is responsible for obtaining and maintaining required documents for land travel between the U.S and Canada.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Strong oral and written communication skills required. Must have excellent computer skills including word, excel, and experience with varying databases. Computer testing in the applicable skills may be a requirement during the interview process.
This position mandates employees to report to or remain at work in the event of an emergency, crisis situation or staff shortage until relieved by their immediate supervisor.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Must be at least 18 years of age, have and maintain a valid driver’s license with a clean drivers abstract in accordance with the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Fleet Policy.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to email@example.com or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.