Open Until Filled
Job Code: 43-5031
Salary Level: : $17.27 - $28.11
Status: Per Diem, Non-exempt
Department: Law Enforcement
Reports To: Sergeant
SUMMARY: Receive and record complaints from public concerning crimes and police emergencies. Operate radio, telephone, or computer equipment to receive reports of fires and medical emergencies and relay information or orders to proper officials.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
· Greet persons entering building, determine nature and purpose of visit, and direct them to specific destinations.
· Respond to in person, telephone and alarm system calls regarding emergency and non-emergency police and fire services, emergency ambulance service and information.
· Gather information to determine the location, and the nature of their problems to determine type of response needed.
· Determine response requirements and relative priorities of situations, and dispatch units in accordance with established procedures.
· Track officer’s/vehicle locations and coordinate responses.
· Relay information and messages to and from emergency sites.
· Record details of calls, dispatches, and messages such as, but not limited to: name, address, incident and assistance required/sent.
· Enter information into computerized records management system.
· Enter and retrieve data from National Computer Information Center and New York State Police Information Network for driver license information, vehicle registration checks and other information as needed.
· The dispatcher maintains access to and security of highly sensitive materials.
· The job requires the candidate to work 12 hour shifts
· The dispatcher scans status charts and computer screens and contacts emergency response field units to determine emergency units available for dispatch.
· The dispatcher maintains files of information relating to emergency calls such as personnel rosters and emergency phone numbers.
· The dispatcher must give full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking appropriate questions. They must be able to talk to others to convey information effectively.
· The dispatcher must have knowledge of electronic equipment, computer hardware and software, including applications and programs.
· The Emergency Dispatcher must be able to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
· Other related duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: There are no supervisor requirements for this position,
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Due to the sensitive nature of information and personnel files maintained within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribal Police, must maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
· A High School Diploma or GED.
· Prior dispatching experience beneficial but not required.
· Ability to speak clearly and effectively is a necessity.
· Computer skills required
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Strong oral and written communication skills required. Must have excellent computer skills including word, excel, and experience with varying databases. Impact training is an asset but not required. Computer testing in the applicable skills may be a requirement during the interview process.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Maintain confidentiality
· Identify and understand information and ideas that are given
· Speak clearly and effectively
· Multitask and remain calm and organized under stressful situations
Possession of a valid State Driver License in accordance with Fleet Policy.
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor.
The successful candidate must pass a test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
An Authority for Release of Information form must be completed and submitted with the application.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, and supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses). Applicants that are eligible for native preference must include Tribal Identification Card, Status Card or letter to be eligible for Native Preference. All submissions can be emailed to email@example.com or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as a PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job-related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
All positions require the successful candidate to pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes. Depending on the position there maybe multiple background checks.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used for Emergency Hire individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.
EMPLOYEE COVID VACCINATION POLICY
Effective July 3, 2023, the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe no longer requires the COVID-19 Vaccination for any positions within the organization, to include Health Services.